making sodium bromide

dom3mo

you could do it the hard way, Na+Br-->NaBr

Please don't try this unless you have VERY SERIOUS safety gear. I've reacted sodium with chlorine before and it's a VIOLENT reaction. Part of the danger with the reaction nitric suggested would be that bromine is a liquid and the reaction takes the form of an explosion. Fiery bromine flying through the air is not a pleasant prospect.

Nitric, please don't suggest such irresponsible methods without pointing out the dangers involved. You might know it's not safe, but you can't assume everyone who reads the post also knows it.

hmm not quite the same danger but similar. The nitric acid and copper coin is dngerous mostly because of the toxic gases given off. This reaction is dangerous because it's fast and hot AND bromine is a very reactive liquid which might fly around a lot in the case of an explosion. It's also very volatile so it'll form toxic gas as well as being a toxic liquid

you can get it at any reliable chemical suplier. also i would add to the nitric acid and copper coin analogy, with that its mainly toxicity, while this is more of a explostion that would happen, sorry about the safety of the method. also its not reliable for making any NaBr

sodium iodide is added in small quantities to salt in some countries... but i dont know how to separate it from the sodium chloride. It's probably in chemistry sets and you can buy it pure from chemical companies if you're the purchaser for an educational or research facility. there may be other sources. I just buy it from aldrich, but you need to be someone with the authority to do that, usually

huh my salt contains 45% iodide the reaction might work if i used the salt

what do you want it for anyway?

there May be an easier route to get to your final product that doesn`t involve NaBr.

I want to make hydrobromic acid

You can make it from bromine and sulfur dioxide, but my lab isn't good enough to make sulfur dioxide without the gas leaking out of jar. If I make sodium bromide I can react it with acetic acid to make hydrobromic acid. I heard somewhere that you can make hydrogen bromide,"Once I got that it is super easy to make hydrobromic acid", by reacting bromine and rubbing alcohol, but I don't think that will work.

Edited by dom3mo
multiple post merged

hydrobromic acid is made using phosphoric acid and sodium bromide, i hope you know that HBr is some pretty nasty stuff in its gas form,and really, you can get HCl at home depot and lowes, so why do you need it

It is stronger than HCl, can you make HBr from rubbing alcohol, and bromine?