Matalic powder ??

person

I was walking ... ok you dont need to know the details.

I have a jar of metalic powder that i found in a garage. It was used to make reflective paint so i asumed Al ... So to test my theory i put a pinch into HCl but nothing happened :confused: so now i am lead to believe that it is not Al. I tested it with a magnet. Its not magnetic. It is grey in colour and is quite heavy (i will work out its density and post it later)

Any suggestions as to how i can find out what it is ???

Much appreciated

I`st of all you don`t mention what color the powder is, is there a reason for that?

a green soln does however narrow it down somewhat, now try using sodium hydroxide

Edited by YT2095
multiple post merged

It is a grey/silver metalic powder.

I didnt observe any reaction between it and a strong NaOH soln after 20 min.

It has a density of 3.08 g/ml

Something to consider, it might be an aloy.

P.s my density might be slightly off (i used a scale that only has one decimal).

thnx

sounds like Copper to me, perhaps a Brass, especially the chlorides then oxides.

perhaps it`s been coated with something?

try dissolving in Nitric acid, and then add a a weak chloride soln to this, look for a white PPT, I`v seen Silver (alloyed with copper) have this effect.

did all the powder dissolve when you did the HCl addition?

No not all the powder disolved (it could just be that the acid lost some acidity though)! I gree that it may be a aloy of copper but i dought it contains any silver (baught it for quite cheep).

It was slightly affected by a strong magnet (when i moved the magnet close i saw the particles moving a bit) but not enough for the powder to "slick" to the magnet.

What chloride soln should i add to the nitric HNO3 metal mix (chloride that i got from the HCl and metal mix)?

Thanx

Titanium Dioxide, calcium carbonate Are used in commercial reflective paints according to their MSDS sheets.

Yea - TiO2 as a white pigment and CaCO3 as a filler. The reflectivity would come from metalic particulates.