Overhormonal?

I've heard of people being overhormonal, with it's different causes and effects. But can someone give me more information on this subject? What usually causes a person to become overhormonal? What are many of the effects or symptoms?

And encase you're wondering, the reason I ask, is because I have huge manboobs for a male of my size and age, and I'm also harrier than any of my friends that are my age. People have said that it could have something to do with being overhormonal/having overactive or dysfunctional hormones. So I'm just curious, and decided to see what some rather more credible, intelligent sources could say about the subject.

I've heard of people being overhormonal, with it's different causes and effects. But can someone give me more information on this subject? What usually causes a person to become overhormonal? What are many of the effects or symptoms?

And encase you're wondering, the reason I ask, is because I have huge manboobs for a male of my size and age, and I'm also harrier than any of my friends that are my age. People have said that it could have something to do with being overhormonal/having overactive or dysfunctional hormones. So I'm just curious, and decided to see what some rather more credible, intelligent sources could say about the subject.

If you are worried you might have some kind of condition you should go see a medical professional. I know that some cases of human giganticism are related to tumors on the pituitary gland, I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think over hormonal is a medical term. But there are many medical problems that relate teh the amounts of hormones we do or do not produce. Hypo and hyperthyroidism is one example, where too little or too much (respectively) thyroxin is produced. This tends to affect metabolic pathways and is completly unlikely to be the cause of "huge manboobs"

Probabbly lots have people have told you we are all different, some people have more sweat glands than others and produce more sweat as a result, other people seem to hardly sweat at all.

I suggest that you calculate your body mass index (As you haven't said you height and weight i can't do it for you.) if you're BMI is 25 to 29.9 or less, your not overweight.

The only way to know if your hormones are at higher than usual concentration is to have a blood test and for that you muct see your doctor, which is probabbly your best bet for the real answers.

Good luck lets us know what you find out :)

• 1 month later...

Hi NIN,

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to you now, as I've noted that your original post was a few months ago. Also, I'm far from being a rocket scientist...just your average run of the mill female. But perhaps this info can ease your mind regarding "manboobs". I'm assuming at the time you made your profile that you were 15 yrs. old. Anyhoo, here goes.....

Let's get the main worry out the way first. Again, keep in mind that I'm NOT a physician. But from the little info about you that I've to go by, it seems like you may have Pubescent Gynecomastia.

In 90% of adolescent males whose condition is NOT due to obesity, the breast developement will shrink or disappear in less than 3 years :).

Now for a just a couple of possible causes in layman's terms for Pubescent Gynecomastia that I've read about.

Pubescent Gynecomastia can be caused by the temporary imbalance of ratios of male to female hormones. In other words, at this point your body may be producing too much estrogen.

If this is the cause, try not to worry. Your body will "right" itself in time.

Excessive alcohol consumption, marijuana (among other drugs), and steroid use can cause this condition, too. Hopefully, you're not indulging in either. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Testicular trauma.

And the list goes on...

Hopefully this will help you, if even a little, through the Hellish Hormonal Nightmare known as puberty ;).

Good luck and hang in there!!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with MIgirl. If you are 15 years old, your testosterone production is skyrocketing and as a result, your estrogen levels are also high because testosterone converts to estrogen, and there is always a balance. Give it time and it should go away. Exercise helps reduce fat which will make the fat on your chest less noticeable.

However, my question is, what does a person do if that doesn't go away? Or if they exhibit the same estrogen-related fat deposition after puberty? I had a couple of friends ask me about this and I'm not really sure.

• 1 month later...