Removing Nitric Oxide

Andoz

I'm planning on making some nitrous oxide and was wondering about how to go about removing nitric oxide impurity.

On wiki is states that bubbling the gas through a basic solution followed by acid then basic again should remove most of the nitric oxide.

Does anyone have any idea on what kinds of concentrations should be used?

Also it says that FeSO4 can be used to chelate the NO. Would the FeSO4 be desolved in the basic solution and Fe(NO)x ppt. out?

One more question, I read on another thread that N2O is easily absorbed into water, if the basic and acidic solutions are at room temperature would there be any significant loss of N2O into solution?

wiki link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N2O#Manufacture

Thanks for any help.

it's easier to buy n2o than make it.

I bought some around the corner from here in small cylinders. They use it for whipping cream. They cartridges contain about 10g of n2o at very high pressure. the top of the cylinder is covered with a soft metal plug which can be peirced with a camping stove valve. The only slight dangers are:

1) nitrous oxide narcosis. nitrous oxide can cause people to get a bit hysterious. It may be that this is WHY you want to make it. In which case i'd strongly advise you either don't do it or you buy it to minimise the risk of inhaling other nitrogen oxides, some of which can kill.

2) the cylinder might fly around the room under jet propulsion. Clamp it down.

3) the cylinder gets very very cold as it discharges. This can cause frostbite. Clamp the cylinder and wear a insulated glove just in case you need to hold it.