Mirror's Edge

ydoaPs

Odd to see this here, considering how much time I spend talking and teaching about this subject in other places (I spent all night tonight showing students how to write C# code for Torque applications, but they kept drifting over to the 360 to play the Mirror's Edge demo). Yeah the demo is something else. I like it's interesting combination of special combat moves and first-person perspective, which is rare (most shooters are weapon-focused), and I like the idea of avoiding combat, focusing on disarm moves, etc. It's interesting.

Also uses as its theme a cool song by Swedish musician Lisa Miskovsky.

I'm actually looking forward to quite a few games this fall -- I've been spending time recently in Little Big Planet (amazing game).

I'm actually looking forward to quite a few games this fall -- I've been spending time recently in Little Big Planet (amazing game).

Little Big Planet arrived at our door last week, and it is, as you said, amazing. We've already created a bog standard platform game, and are now working on an arcade classic, that so far, doesn't appear to have been tackled yet.

The style, intuitiveness plus narration from Stephen Fry, all works really well together, and the potential for future upgrades / downloads for LBP is huge.

Too... many... games. While a huge game rush just before the holiday season is nothing new, this year amazingly many of the games are actually good. I'm looking forward to the PC release of Mirror's Edge, but I'm guessing it won't be any time soon.

My flatmate has a PS3 and LBP; from what I saw of it, it's a bit odd. It looks good, though.

It turns out, that if you pre-ordered Mirror's Edge, it comes with a bag just like the one used by the runners in the game. It's too big for my xbox, though. :(

Oh well, I'll be able to shove all kinds of stuff in it next time I move.

I was surprised to see that XPlay on G4 gave Mirror's Edge only 4 stars out of 5 in its review last night. They liked the game quite a lot, but complained about its short duration and "too much fighting" towards the end.

That duration thing is rapidly becoming a big deal in console games. Almost gone are the days of games that lasted 30+ hours and had tons of replayability. Only one I played this year that was anything like that long was GTA4. Now most games seem to be clocking in around the 8-hour mark.

(That's an odd and subjective way to measure game length, of course, given that people play at different speeds -- the more you die the longer the game lasts, for example. But that seems to be the way people look at it these days.)

• 2 weeks later...

So who's playing this, now that it's out?

I started on it last night, having been delayed by Call of Duty: World at War (another interesting title). I'm only a couple chapters in but it seems like a great game. I guess my only complaint is that it gets a bit familiar pretty quickly. Kinda like Assassin's Creed did.