the science of memory (in relation to studying) -- need help for study tips

hi

I from time to time read books and other printed study material, often hoping that i can remember the things i am reading. i have no trouble understanding the things i study. the method of study i use, i read over the things i wish to retain, once, then in break each thing down by writing, one by one, what i've read. it seems that many things like books, and my study materials, i understand while i'm reading them, i enjoy reading them, but retaining the information becomes much more difficult. the types of things i have been studying are things like fallacies and cognitive biases. things that i hope to make a part of who i am, not something for say, a school test. i suppose in these field of study "fallacies and cognitive biases" i'm good at spotting, say, fallacies, when i see them. i cannot however, say, its this particular fallacy, and then proceed to define what that is. i think thats important to note. seeing as i cannot selectively point at and label what i'm identifying, i'd be interested in getting some tips for long term retention and recognition, as specific identifiable memories, not just something i might recognize, but be unable to identify. i have taken antipsychotics for 15 years now, and i hope to be able to return to school. i do feel that i must be able to get this process of memory much more under control if i am to succeed.

it occurs to me that when i was young, i had heard of certain amino acids or maybe even vitamins, that might help promote memory. if anyone can recommend something that might help these memories stick for the long term, i'd be appreciative of that too, as well as any study tips for my condition.

thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Ginkgo Biloba is the first thing that springs to mind. I've actually been taking this myself the last few months. I couldn't say if it's made a difference, I'd probably notice any benefits more if I stopped it...

I have the same problem with studying at the moment. Understand everything, can pick holes in everything, but can't write about it. Reading over and over doesn't help me, writing things out over and over helps (particularly for specific words and phrases), but the one thing that helps more than anything is writing myself questions. By having to answer questions that I've made, I'm having to actually concentrate and recall information, then when I have to look up the answer I'm much more likely to remember it for next time!

If you haven't already, try going through your notes picking out information to build a question sheet for yourself. Then try answering them. See if you remember better after that :)

And one last obvious thing, if you're mass studying (reading a heap of material without a break), then you'd probably benefit from not doing that.