what kind of jobs are available for a BIO major???>>>

rex-craft7

actually, my questions more specific then that - im currently exploring around what other options are available

i dont really have a set i-want-THIS-exact-career/job kind of mentality right now. i just feel like trying to go towards something i find interesting, and fits the kind of person i am, but in a very broad and general fashion.

i really hate the corporate life - love nature, love playing around in the mud, looking at weird creatures; basically, i was wondering if the bio field had many opportunities for the following kind of work/jobs (just random examples i made up) : working outside in for example, a national park. research while in the outdoors, going on the water, other countries to figure out what places need more environmental help, lots of fieldwork, very hands-on and nature oriented conservation work, etc. (lack of routine would also make me very happy)

and if there are such jobs, how many said jobs are available to biology related graduates (microbiology, marine biology, zoology, etc.). it would not make sense to study biology if only say, 1% of the field had the kind of work im describing above, and that its impossibly competitive to get those jobs (if there are any). (just in case, maybe i should also note that monetary accomplishments are not very high on my list of things i want to do. as long as i can eat, go on occasional vacations, have a simple roof over my head, i think ill be satisfied.) any input would be appreciated - thanks in advance

Many biology academics do field work fairly regularly. Most have classes to teach, students to supervise, papers to write and probably lab work to do as well. Plus field work costs reasonable amounts of money, and there are plenty of academics writing grant applications.

Government agencies, such as fisheries, forestry, environmental protection, etc., have jobs for graduates that involve working in natural environments. It really depends on where you live though.

This sort of question has come up before, and so I've said before the people that generally spend the most time actually in the field work aren't scientists but support staff. This more applies to larger operations such as established research stations. An example the Australian Antarctic Division, and you can see the sorts of people they need to run their stations here:

http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=24404

So jobs like plumbers, doctors and electricians etc. Ok, they are doing plumbing, doctoring and electricing, but they would be spending long periods, maybe permanent, out there.