Are Cartoons Bad for Children's Health?

Latios

Do you wish more cartoon time for children?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you wish more cartoon time for children?

• Of course! It's fun for kids to watch cartoons.
    • Never! Cartoons are evil and deserve to be destroyed this instant(doesn't really mean it literally, just trying to make it sound dramatic)!
    • Who cares?

Personally I think cartoons are great for children's health since they are somewhat educational and at the same time entertaining.

But I know there are people who thinks otherwise, so give me your opinion about this matter.

I think the question is too general.

Are Cartoons Bad for CHildren's Health?

From which perspective do you want an answer?

Psychologically?

Socially?

Physically?

I was raised on Road Runner and Spiderman cartoons' date=' and I turned out just fine! :)

[/quote']

I think that should be our next debate topic.

If we are talking about physically then how could watching cartoons possibly be better than running around outside?

I voted who cares because it should be the parent’s choice. Right now parents are lacking.

Why should there be fine for selling mature game to miners? Shouldn’t it be the parents job to keep there kid from playing the game? So why should I decide for the parent...

I suppose my question was too general in prospectives; however, I think that was my point in this poll, to be considerate to all prospectives. One must conside all sides of something in order to make a conclusion on something, that's what I believe.

And about the selling of mature games to minors, I guess the government is just being considerate to children's health, that's all.

when I say "Raised" I don`t mean I was sat in front of the TV all day, I mean those were the only 2 cartoons I really went out of my way to watch. but since they the occupied the saturday day morning slot and half hour after school, I wouldn`t consider it excessive, and did infact spend the rest of my time outside or in my bedroom with my electroncs and chemistry sets :)

• 2 weeks later...
in my bedroom with my electroncs and chemistry sets :)

A well ventilated bedroom, I hope... you do know what solder-flux fumes wil do to you?

Who cares... there's more than enough programming available on Digital/Cable/Satelite that it's already at saturation point... just let the demonic little ankle-biters sit and stare goggle-eyed for hours. At least they're quiet and not throwing rocks at my windows!

I was raised on Road Runner and Spiderman cartoons' date=' and I turned out just fine! :)

I still like to watch them now actualy :)[/quote']

Lol! I sitlll watch them! Pretty entertaining I must say! Poor coyote!

A well ventilated bedroom' date=' I hope... you do know what solder-flux fumes wil do to you?

[/quote']

well I`ve heard stuiff about it being "BAD for you" but if you listen to "THEM" they say everything is bad for you.

I`ve probably sucked up over a kilo of the fumes in my near 30 years of soldering and I`m still "Sucking air"! and to no detectable ill effects :)

I cough much because I smoke about 30 a day, but that`s all, and besides, everyones gotta die of SOMETHING! :)

solder fumes will not be mine :)

you know the latest research is saying that if a child under the age of two (after 3 is ok, i believe they said) watches an hour worth of TV or anything else were there's rapid motion change, there's a 10% chance they will develop ADD or ADHD?

so for every hour watched, it's 10% more likelyhood of developing it faster.

so now off i go to try and find the linky for this research. oh i forgot if this research is being conducted by neuroscientists or sociologists(probably the prior than the later thou).

{edit: found some :)}

http://www.limitv.org/tvaddadhd.htm

http://www.mindfully.org/Health/2004/ADHD-TV-Link5apr04.htm

• 2 months later...

here's my view in cartoons

good aspects

it's entertaining helps to keep child's mind fresh

"tom &jerry" ,etc makes laugh ,laughing is good for health

u can gain knowledge from cartoons

bad aspects

it makes the children to imitate and he may jump out of the tv room just like spidey

too much watching cartoons are bad for eyes

it may become habitual and if habitual then:-

it may hamper study

it may focus the child's mind into cartoon and no other activites

just staying at one corner and watching cartoons means no physical activites

Nice study on it :) I couldn't have phrased it better.

But, the only thing I have to say about it, similar to what Edward said is that in moderation, cartoons have no bad effects, its just that when it goes over the top, it has bad aspects to it!

• 4 weeks later...
when I say "Raised" I don`t mean I was sat in front of the TV all day

jajajajajaa nice...

I could not vote on this poll because my answer is not among them.

I would say it depends on which cartoons.

I was raised with Mazinger Z, The Zodiac Chaballiers (saint seya), FLY, i think that i got too many moral lessons from there..

i became an engineer since i saw mazinger z, detrying testing toys.. etc....

but the actual cartoos... are just too stupid and nonsense that... well.. i do knot know what would be the became of that... well know it in some 9 years.

cartoons are fine so long as they are appropriate, e.g. a cartoon of two people killing each other mixed with some sex scenes even though cartoon is not appropriate, but yes, in general cartoons are fine for kids because no chanel for kids would screen cartoons such as what i just mentioned!

I think cartoons are fine for children. The thing is parents need to see what their children are watching and make sure it is appropriate for their age. Most of the parents who complain seem to let their children watch cartoons that their children shouldn't be watching.

yeah, like parents of 5 year old kids complain about stuff like south park, well dont let your kids watch it then, its on late at night anyway, what are kids doing awake at that kinda time watching TV?

I think cartoons are fine for children. The thing is parents need to see what their children are watching and make sure it is appropriate for their age. Most of the parents who complain seem to let their children watch cartoons that their children shouldn't be watching.

This (from my experience) is easier said than done. A lot of parents are just too stressed from work/other stuff, so they just plonk their kids in front of the TV and don't really care what's on as long as they're off their backs for a bit.

My brother is 11 years old, and in my opinion the kind of cartoons and kids TV broadcasting is radically different than when I was going through it. There's a lot more anime-style stuff (Pokemon, etc) that simply didn't exist on British TV broadcasting up until about 5 years ago. Also, the kinds of adverts appearing at the times most likely for kiddies to watch the TV are really quite different than those 11 years ago. I find it all a little depressing really.