Rep Question

big314mp

• 1 month later...
Has it been considered that negative rep might be a good idea? For posts that don't break any rules as such but include lots of factual inaccuracies or very poorly presented arguments.

AFAIK it has been considered and in my opinion it doesn't work too well, even though the users are a bit more mentally mature than YouTube users. :D

If people don't want reputation to be anonymous, I can allow you to see who left reputation. What would you prefer?

Is that something that can be a user option — whether your rep is anonymous or not?

AFAIK it has been considered and in my opinion it doesn't work too well, even though the users are a bit more mentally mature than YouTube users. :D

Ah, I bask in the glow of your faint praise! :);)

I find the thumbs up/down on YT comments quite useful actually, they prevent you from having to look at the really really really stupid comments every time a video is featured, and by the strength of the community good comments are usually kept with a reasonably high rating.

Is that something that can be a user option — whether your rep is anonymous or not?

I could hack the reputation system to allow it, but I guess the easiest way to do that would be to put a note in the reputation-giving box saying "If you want the user to know who gave them this reputation, sign your username at the end of the comment" or something similar.

It's a per-usergroup setting to allow people to see who gave them reputation.

Has it been considered that negative rep might be a good idea? For posts that don't break any rules as such but include lots of factual inaccuracies or very poorly presented arguments.

I don't think that's a good idea at all, given what goes on in the environmental and political debate threads.

I could hack the reputation system to allow it, but I guess the easiest way to do that would be to put a note in the reputation-giving box saying "If you want the user to know who gave them this reputation, sign your username at the end of the comment" or something similar.

*clicks thumbs up symbol*

This is a good idea. Sometimes its nice to be able to compliment a good post non-anonymously.

It's a per-usergroup setting to allow people to see who gave them reputation.

OK. Adding the note is a good idea.