What disease is this? Need a diagnosis

muhali3

I thought it might be avian bird flu since it's written that it's a fairly recent pathogen and is also prevalent in Thailand. However, the neurodegenerative symptoms don't match up. Could anyone help me make a diagnosis?

sdf.jpg

Seems like you will need to also find a disease that "nests" (gosh, I suck in biology, but I'm good with clues! ;) for 45 days plus or minus (1 week in hospital + 10 days in american hospital + three weeks home).

It might be transferable by blood or bodily fluids, and it seems to me that it should also be hard to identify until it breaks out.

As far as I know, some diseases can be detected in the blood even before symptoms show - this doesn't appear to be the case here, since she was in 2 different hospitals since her accident (which is likely where she got sick) and none identified a problem. It might not be relevant, but..

Anyways, I'm curious, even just for general knowledge, do post your answer when you have one :)

I'm thinking something along the lines of acute hepatitis. Viral hepatitis at a guess, since the increased immune activity would indicate infection.

Doesn't really explain the neurological stuff though. And I don't recall having heard much of anything about hepatitis in 2008.

I narrowed it down to schistosomiasis, malaria, or hepatitis. I'm leaning towards Hepatitis D, which requires Hepatitis B to replicate. That would explain the different RNAs, and the one foreign DNA. Hepatitis B is a DNA virus that makes RNA intermediates, and Hepatitis D is a circular RNA virus. The recurrence of the symptoms after dormancy should also mean that it should be a virus instead of a bacteria. None of these seem like big news in 2008 but they're the only ones that had a good match-up of the symptoms.

From looking at the liver symptoms and the pale stools and dark urine symptomatic of a liver disorder, I would have guessed at yellow fever or hepatitis which both damage the liver causing necrosis of tissue. Yellow fever seems more common in Africa though.

The serology is also important because it will also help to lead you to the correct answer. All you need is a good search engine. Good luck.