Sunshine (2007 Film) Featuring Physics Commentary

Pangloss

We don't normally talk about fictional movies here, of course, but I thought this one was worth mentioning. The main reason I bring it up is because the DVD features a running "director's commentary" track by Brian Cox, a physicist on the Large Hadron Collider's ATLAS project. Cox served as a scientific consultant on the film, and he gives an entertaining talk about science and space exploration and (not surprisingly) the sun.

The film itself includes the usual sort of mishmash of scientific ideas mostly casually tossed aside for dramatic purposes and occasionally embraced for seriousness. But it does stop short of insulting the scientifically-minded viewer with an X-Files-like deus ex machina, at least, and it really contained quite a healthy dose of respect for science and space exploration that I thought made it rather enjoyable.

And it looks absolutely stunning on blu-ray, btw. We threw it up to a massive image on the wall with a Playstation 3 and an HD projector. Kinda like having your own IMAX theater. (lol)

It is kinda sad that we have to accept scientific inaccuracy in the movies, but I do note a difference between movies that embrace and involve science and ones that reject it and twist it at whim. The whole plot of Sunshine wrapped around scientific concepts and motivations. I think that's a plus that outweighs the minuses, and from an educational standpoint I'd love to see more movies like this and less like "Saw V" or "Babylon A.D."