Viruses, porphyrins, and cancer cells

Genecks

Would it be possible to create a virus that targets a human cancer cell and inject its genetic code to make the cancer cell create porphyrins?

Furthermore, could the code be used to manufacture porphyrins that destroy the cancer cell upon light-wave contact?

I read a recent edition of Scientific American, it I had the idea that perhaps using viruses to manufacture porphyrins to destroy cancer cells would be a more controlled way to destroy cancer cells.

The problem with virus therapy is that when the virus incorporates its own dna into the cell there is the chance that the virus dna can be placed inbetween a working gene rendering it useless. if this happens in a very important gene bad things can happen. A solution to this is to make the virus dna float around the cytoplasm without integrating into the host dna. this also stops the cell from passing on the virus gene when it divides

Actually the integration of DNA in the host cell would not have much of a consequence on a multicellular organism. Especially if you can target cancer cells specifically. While there are markers for cancer cells, it is often more a matter of amount (of marker recepetors, for instance) rather than the mere presence of course, as cancer do not possess novel genes compared to "normal" cells.

Also there is the usual problem of proper dosage application etc. of viral therapies.

Never heard of that idea before, but it sounds interresting indeed.

From what I heard they also make a big effort researching on enzymes. But I see pros and cons on both aspects.

The virus idea would only work if you could create af virus, that would match the genetic code of the cancer cell involved. So you would have to develop many different types of virus depending on the cancer cells.

If anybody know how this works more probably I would await your answer with eagerness!