Ethnicity

NavajoEverclear

This hardly qualifies as science, and perhaps very immature/trivial sense of fun, but whatever.

Just for fun, can anyone with a somewhat extensive knowledge in human migration, give me an estimation range of how what my relation would be to a certain individual of another nationality (say billionth cousin or uncle, or somethin like that). There'd be a million things to take into account such as life span and reproductive frequency of the general population at the time of migration, who knows what other crap.

K so i am mostly english, some german, and like a 32nd Cherokee. How closely am i related to my friend who is chineese? More closely than my 100% European descended friends, cause the Native Americans came from Asia across the Bering Straight. I'd be how much more closely am i related to my lovely female friend who is half hispanic? I don't know what nationality her father it, her mother is hispanic. Hispanic comes from Native Central Americans breeding with Spanish, and after that since hispanics bred more with hispanics, on average hispanics are what percent more Native American than European? Also her hair is very beautifully curly (not as much so as africans) so precisely where did that gene come from? Her mother, but where did she get it from? Most hispanics have fairly straight hair.

This could be a really complex undertaking. I'm sure someone could give me aproximate answers. I think i'll make it a lifelong goal to find a more exact calculation. Is there such occupation as someone who has extensive knowledge of nationalities and subnationalities? I think it would be awesome if possible to be able to look at someone and tell them what ancestors they are probably a result of.

Yes i had many ridiculously complicated questions, and i want comprehensive answers to satisfy every particle of my interest. Get to work! I realize that some of my sentences barely made sense. That is your duty to figure out, it is your only purpose in life. Trust me.

this reminds me of the seven degrees of whoever. I notices a startling fact that I can get to George Bush really quickly;

my girlfriend's father [1] (who I have met) used to work with a close relative [2] of the former chinese leader [3] who has met George Bush [4]. I can even do it in 3, but through a less interesting channel. One of my lecurers [1] has worked with Tony Blair [2] who has met George Bush [3]

this reminds me of the seven degrees of whoever.

i believe you're refferin' to the Seven daughters of Eve ;)

that and other research seems to point that our common ancestor was of african descent

Is there such occupation as someone who has extensive knowledge of nationalities and subnationalities?

that'll be the Cultural Anthropologists and to some degree even the Linguistic Anthropologists

For the part about relationship with a Chinese friend, I do not think you are very closely related with him or her because Germans, English, etc. European are separate from the rest of the world since the beginning of recorded civilization. Thus we can assume that they branched off as soon as advance civilization begins. However, I think the Cherokee is a little closer related to Asian people because most Indians came to America from Asia through the Bering Sea(I think that's what it is, do not really remember). But I have no idea if those people are Russian or Chinese, or people from other places.

In conclusion, depends on how many percent of you is Cherokee, the higher the percentage, the higher the chance of being a far cousin of your Chinese friend.

Hmmm..... Learning American History really helps in this matter......

there are several theories but two of the biggest ones, of which i'm not going to go into detail, but they both say that that homo sapiens originated in africa and then spread to various parts of the europe and asia. there was dramatically less allele exchange between the africans and asians or europeans and asians, hence asians have evolved slightly different than their ancestors. ;)

and native americas are indeed genetically closer to asains then europeans or africans.

Also, I believe that English and German are more closely related to Hispanic since they are part Spanish after all.

So yes, you are a closer cousin to your female friend than your Chinese friend.

And the thing about the curly hair, I think it came from the Native American, since Spanish people do not have curly hair, or do they? I haven't really seen much pure-Spanish people.....

I meant invasions of Europe by various groups, mainly during the dark ages. Like the Huns, Avars, Mongols, Moors, Turks, Magyars, and Norse. You could go either way with the Norse, maybe Scandanavia is part of Europe, and Turkey is hoping to be soon ;)

i believe you're refferin' to the Seven daughters of Eve ;)

no' date=' I was referring to the seven degrees of {.......} - the idea is that you can link yourself to any other person in the world through seven people, such as my link with George Bush.

that and other research seems to point that our common ancestor was of african descent

well that would be the common ancestor of all humanity, yeap. Various groups would have much more recent ancestors, such as indigenous chinese would have a common ancestor much closer to asia.

Wouldn't the degree of separation be reduced as the world get smaller due to communication technology advancement? I suppose it could since people can know more people as this technology become better and faster.

If this is true, when do you think everybody will know everybody in the world? :)

That's not really that long, since I read something about the next Ice Age being a few hundred years away.

And a few hundred years is nothing, consider the fact that man had walk the Earth for quite a long time.