Passing through walls

I am not quite sure if there is a theory to this subject I am bringing up, but in every science book or anything of the subject it defies this. But in a theory if you observe or even look at a model of molocules of a solid object, there is still a tiny amount of space between them. So in that thought, wouldn't that mean that somehow humans can pass through solid objects?:confused:

Although there is distance between all of the elements and molecules and things which make up our bodies and the walls, there are very strong forces that go far beyond them. Things like electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces all act to prevent such a thing from happening. It's the same reason we don't fall through the floor or through the surface of the Earth into the hot center.

The forces are repelling.

It's an interesting idea, and a speculation I often used to play around with a lot when I was younger. Thanks for the reminder of my youth. :)

NOOO! the "holes" are far too small. For example, glass has teeny weeny holes too. That lets you see through it. But can you pass through it? no. Because? the holes are spaced and TEENY WEENY! just so you know.

That's not correct, nor would it have been very helpful even if it were.

Edited by iNow
multiple post merged

I am not quite sure if there is a theory to this subject I am bringing up, but in every science book or anything of the subject it defies this. But in a theory if you observe or even look at a model of molocules of a solid object, there is still a tiny amount of space between them. So in that thought, wouldn't that mean that somehow humans can pass through solid objects?:confused:

No, the electromagentic force stops you from doing that. It is the reason I'm not falling through my chair, through the ground, and into the center of the Earth, and why solid objects in general are solid.

I know by that I mean if researchers if it is actually possible to make a device to allow that to happen.

I'm going to say probably not. Unless you can somehow take away the ability for all those electrons and protons to not exert an electromagnetic force.

I know by that I mean if researchers if it is actually possible to make a device to allow that to happen.

You mean something like a door? :D

In a solid object, the molecules are so close to each other that other molecules couldn't fit in between.

And even if they could, then you would become "one with the wall," so to speak.

some gases are capable of passing through seemingly solid materials, Helium through a latex balloon for instance. Molecular sieves, activated charcoal and certain zeolite applications exploit this in filtration systems.

I realise it`s not exactly the Same, but it`s as close as it gets in reality.

we could pass trough walls if we didn't have gravity which i think is the ambigous power that teethers us to higher and lower dimensions(highly unproven)but gravity in other dimensions is king and dictates the balace of life as we no it.if not for gravity are atoms wouldn't stay together thus passing through a wall would happen but you would also pass trough they other theorized dimensions.

• 1 month later...

The probability of one solid object passing through another is not zero. It's some stupidly low number like 1x10^-23 but nevertheless remains "possible". Meaning that if you drop a penny on your desk a septillion times or so, one of these millenia, it will fall through...

Though that might not be entirely accurate, it might be more like the possibility of the first plane of atoms passing the first plane in the other object being 10^-23, so it might just "stick funny".

But remembering our Rutherford scattering experiment, that of an 8000/1 shot that you hit a gold nucleus, would mean that for one 8000 atom plane, into another, you'd most likely hang up on one atom. Which means that in bulk, with millions of atoms in a plane and millions of atoms deep, it's like setting up a "chicken run" packed with auto firing shotguns and saying, "on average there's enough pellet free space for a human to fit, so theoretically, you could make it through"

we could pass trough walls if we didn't have gravity which i think is the ambigous power that teethers us to higher and lower dimensions(highly unproven)but gravity in other dimensions is king and dictates the balace of life as we no it.if not for gravity are atoms wouldn't stay together thus passing through a wall would happen but you would also pass trough they other theorized dimensions.

I missed this one on the first pass. Wow.

No, absolutely not. Gravity has nothing* to with atoms staying together.

*OK, exceedingly little — the energy of interaction is somewhere around 10^-30 eV, whereas electromagnetic interactions on the atomic level are eV-ish. The gravitational perturbation of the earth is larger by more than 20 orders of magnitude)

The solution is simple, get a nuclear reactor, and a thick steel wall so the decayed particles don't pass through, and you should get a stream (a wall) of neutrinos passing through the other side of the wall. Simply walk back and forth through the wall of neutrinos, the wall of neutrinos has mass, and you can pass through it with ease. I realize that's a bit a tenuous, but it's all I could think of.

Edited by Snail

Here's a thought.......If both objects (the wall, and the object to go thru the wall )were solid.......NO WAY

BUT.......If the wall or the object that was trying to pass thru were in a state of flux by means of electromagnetic harmonics................................................................!!!

Think of the ground itself.....now place a rock on the ground.....now vibrate the ground at a certain frequency ( liquefaction of the soil would take place at some point ).....and the rock would pass thru the soil, pulled downward by gravity.

Now take your wall or the object to be passed thru apply an electromagnetic field that operates at a certain frecuency to allow the object to pass thru slightly out of phase and back in once it is thru....sort of like when your hand is wet and soapy, and you are able to pass your finger thru the membrane of a soap bubble thru the fact that your finger is coated with a soap and water mix, and keeps the surface tension equal. Not the exact same thing, but you get a mental picture of what is trying to be accomplished.

Just a thought.

Edited by DIM TIM

Quantum mechanics tells us that the position state wavefunctions of all the particles making up your body have "tails" which are on the other side of the wall. So if you wait long enough, you will just spontaneously appear on the other side of the wall.

Try it! It's fun!

Quantum mechanics tells us that the position state wavefunctions of all the particles making up your body have "tails" which are on the other side of the wall. So if you wait long enough, you will just spontaneously appear on the other side of the wall.

Try it! It's fun!

4 days I stood leaning against that wall last year, and nothing!

Read "The Fourth Dimension" I cant remember who it is by, but its a great theoretical physics read. We wouldnt actually go through the wall, but actually we would go "around" the wall in a higher dimension. amazon.com has the book I know i just dont remember the author and dont feel like looking it up lol.