Testing for Nickel and Iron

Hmmm, well, I think you mean they are magnetic? I have already put a magnet next to my "meteorite," and the magnet is attracted to it a little bit. But there are soooooooooooo many magnetic metals that exist on earth, I want to test specifically for one (or both) of these metals (nickel and iron).

No, if it was magnetic it would stick to anything ferromagnetic and you wouldnt need the magnet because it would be a magnet.

Are you sure there are that many ferromagentic metals? I was under the inpression that iron and nickel where the only ones.

well... alot of metals are attracted to a magnet, and my meteorite was attracted to a magnet. This indicates that there is indeed a metal that attracts to a magnet, but I would like soe chemical tests to show me if there is nickel, or iron, or both. I know iron could oxidize red-brown, maybe i could try a streak test?? Any ideas to help me find out if this rock is a meteorite would help.

with household chems alone (unless you`ve already made some lab chems from them) it`s a long proccess! especialy since the salts of both metals are of a similar color (although stays mostly green and some nickel salts are a deeper green more towards blue).

what you will need to do it very finely powder the material you have and dissolve it in acid as best as you possibly can!

then filter off the liquid, then add excess sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and then you`ll get a precipitate of the metal hydroxides, allow that to settle, and pour off the clear liquid, and refill with fresh water again, shake well and let that settle... do this a few times (4 times should be enough).

now you have the pure metal hydroxides and no other "crap" in there, next dissolve it in acid again, but only enough acid so that you still have some metal hydroxide left!

too much acid at this stage is BAD!

you need some hydroxide left!, now you need to perform a displacement reaction with a KNOWN metal, either Iron or Nickel.

if it reacts to one of them, then you`ll know it`s largely the other metal, there IS an order of electro-negativity making one metal a little more reactive than the other, I`ve given you the key, you unlock the door :))

Hmmm, well, I think you mean they are magnetic? I have already put a magnet next to my "meteorite," and the magnet is attracted to it a little bit. But there are soooooooooooo many magnetic metals that exist on earth, I want to test specifically for one (or both) of these metals (nickel and iron).

No, I meant ferromagnetic, which means you could magnetize them. There are also paramagnetic materials, which are attracted to magnetic materials, and diamagnetism, which is a repulsion by magnetic fields.

There are only four ferromagnetic materials at toom temperature. Cobalt and gadolinium are the other two.

There are only four ferromagnetic materials at toom temperature. Cobalt and gadolinium are the other two.

Thanks, good to know. I always wondered what all the ferromagnetic metals are. I have had people tell me there jewely was fake because it didnt stick to magnets and "everybody" knows that all metals stick to magnets... :rolleyes:

Thanks, good to know. I always wondered what all the ferromagnetic metals are. I have had people tell me there jewely was fake because it didnt stick to magnets and "everybody" knows that all metals stick to magnets... :rolleyes:

LOL. What "everybody" knows can be really dangerous.

I agree with Josh Billings - "It's not what you don't know that's the problem. It's what you know that just ain't so." (paraphrased)

was just curious on the results.........

by the way, in post #1, you said you 'think' it is a meteorite

but then in the subsiquent posts you were already calling 'my meteorite' as if all the tests have been already done and concured that it was indeed a 'meteorite' ............

trying to help you rule out any biases before you go through with the test. :D

was just curious on the results.........

by the way' date=' in post #1, you said you 'think' it is a meteorite

but then in the subsiquent posts you were already calling 'my meteorite' as if all the tests have been already done and concured that it was indeed a 'meteorite' ............

trying to help you rule out any biases before you go through with the test. :D[/quote']

yes, well, in my 2nd post, i think i put meteorite in quotes, then I just got tired of doing that, and figured you would all know that the "meteorite" was o far thought to be a meteorite. Sorry for the conclusion:)

not all metals do, aluminium wouldn`t for instanace :)

as for Gadolinium (#64, 4f7 lanthanide), of that I`m not sure, it`s certainly a new one on me :)

[edit] most people are familiar with copper metal (don`t use coins! they`re plated as of 5 year ago) but basic copper wire or metal is non magnetic also, I added that as Alu as the only ref is a bit poor, but we all know copper :)

not all metals do' date=' aluminium wouldn`t for instanace :)

as for Gadolinium (#64, 4f7 lanthanide), of that I`m not sure, it`s certainly a new one on me :)

[edit'] most people are familiar with copper metal (don`t use coins! they`re plated as of 5 year ago) but basic copper wire or metal is non magnetic also, I added that as Alu as the only ref is a bit poor, but we all know copper :)

Several of the rare earths are ferromagnetic but AFAIK gadolinium is the only one at room temperature.

Aluminum, copper and titanium are nonmagnetic. And they'd better be, as I'm using all three as such. Our "nonmagnetic" stainless steel turned out to be magnetic. :-(

I`m aware of the 4 only, Nickel, Manganesse, cobalt and Iron.

Gd I`m not sure of, I`ve no data here about such?

I`m not disputing your claim (I can`t possibly) and I know certain ceramics made of non ferro magnetic materials work exceptionaly well, can you give me some data on the Gd properties re: magnetism please.

cheerz :)

Here is one page. The mention of ferromagnetism is near the bottom.

Here is another, which lists the Curie point as 16 C. This stretches the claims that it's ferromagnetic "above room temperature." That's a chilly room. But better than Dysprosium, whose Curie point is -188 C.