Do You Believe in a Gay Gene?

jimmydasaint

Is there a predisposition for your characteristics which is hard-wired into your genes? From studying twins there seems to be a genetic link for certain aspects of personality including the degree to which a person is an extrovert etc... However, is there a Gay gene? If there is then heterosexual people can be as guilty as racists if they show 'homophobia'. However, if being gay is purely a lifestyle choice then it is on a different ethical platform.

Scientists appear to consider that there is no Gay Gene:

Dr. Collins succinctly reviewed the research on homosexuality and offers the following:

"An area of particularly strong public interest is the genetic basis of homosexuality. Evidence from twin studies does in fact support the conclusion that heritable factors play a role in male homosexuality. However, the likelihood that the identical twin of a homosexual male will also be gay is about 20% (compared with 2-4 percent of males in the general population), indicating that sexual orientation is genetically influenced but not hardwired by DNA, and that whatever genes are involved represent predispositions, not predeterminations [emphasis added]."

http://http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2007/mar/07032003.html

I wonder what others think on this subject.

I don't have any studies to support this, but I believe that there are a number of different factors which go into it, that are, in part, due to genetics. You might have, say, 50 different genetic factors which would lean someone in that direction, but do not necessarily dictate that someone would be gay. There are other factors that weigh in, as well, such as diet, child psychology, socialogy, and just plain luck, where a person is in life and who they find themselves surrounded by. Ultimately, it is choice, but under certain circumstances, someone with all of the 50 genetic factors leaning towards homosexuality, yet with a good diet, upbringing, and a welcoming female right in front of him, why would he go against the grain and defy nature if he was isolated from any homosexual influence?

jimmydasaint, nothing we do is dictated by our genes. But genes have a very strong influence. Consider people who have taken a vow of celibacy. Their genes may be saying sex sex sex, but they can overcome that. So you could say that having sex at all is not determined by your genes, but is a lifestyle choice. But a lifestyle choice with a genetic predisposition is different from a lifestyle choice with no genetic predisposition.

There's no way there's a single "gay gene." If there was, it would be simple to predict just by Mendellian principles. However, it's just as obvious that there's a strong genetic (or at least biological) component. Aside from common sense, the probability of homosexuality is proven to be affected by purely biological factors, as in the study you mention.

On the other hand, when you look at the great differences between its prevalence and role between cultures, it seems impossible to deny a social aspect, as well. In some cultures it's almost the opposite of our own - bisexuality is nearly universally practiced, and men who are only attracted to women are considered effeminate.

Of course, the whole thing is difficult to study or get straight answers about. There is no test for it, it's highly politicized (which is bizarre, if you think about it), and there are powerful social stigmas that prevent an unknown population from admitting homosexuality. When you say, only 20% of gay men's twins are gay, what you're really saying is only 20% openly identify as gay. How many "really" are, or even whether "gay" is a well-defined category, is open to speculation.

Of course, if the issue is homophobia, then in my opinion, it doesn't matter what causes it. Why the hell would I care what consenting adults do with one another, whatever the reason? It's pointless bigotry no matter what.

If you look very closely you can occasionally see small DNA strands dressed as members of Village People.

But seriously, genes alter basically all of our behavior to an extent but it's pretty obvious they aren't the sole reason for homosexuality (due to reasons well summarized by Sisyphus).

I am too lazy to type something up on my own, especially as Sisyphus has already answered so well. There are even some alleles that are associated with homosexuality, but they do not determine it completely. I do not recall the details but in at least on study the same allele was associated with higher fecundity, offering an explanation why this allele might persist even if it should promote homosexuality.

In any case, I am an anonymous internet-poster and I endorse Sisyphus' message.

I also endorse Sisyphus. The phenotype of homosexuality is most likely the combined result of a suite of genes related to gender identity and sexuality, and environmental factors experienced while developing and growing up.

In fact, these studies show that one of the best demographic predictors for homosexuality in a male is the number of older brothers he has. One of the suggested theories behind it is related to kin selection - if there are already a lot of males in the family, competition for mates and resources (especially paternal inheritance, which tends to go to the oldest brother anyway) is going to be high. In that case it may be better to be homosexual, and aid your brothers in raising their offspring, and raise your indirect fitness as opposed to your direct fitness.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the full text on this one, but here's a review article on the causes of homosexuality - the evidence for a genetic component is pretty solid at this point.