Strange smell of Sulfuric Acid

hydraliskdragon

After storing Car Battery Sulfuric acid in a glass for about a day, I decided to open the jar. When I opened it, I smelled a very powerful chlorine like smell and is wondering what had happened.

Is this a normal smell acompanied by this acid after storage in a glass container? Is there a risk of dangerous fumes?

There seems to be a black pricipitate on the bottom. I think its lead dioxide.

Does the jar have a metal or plastic lid? If there are no contaminants in the acid, it could be a reaction to the lid. In a laboratory, sulphuric acid is stored in a glass jar with a ground glass stopper.

WE have about 3 gallons of 30% (Car battery strength) sulphuric acid stored in 5 gallon plastic jugs. It doesn't appear to be normal plastic however (It's really heavy and white) and the acid is fine.

HDPE and certain other plastics can handle sulfuric at certain concentrations

When I bought my first H2SO4 it was in a High-Density Polyethelene container, 90% concentration, but it also had an inhibitor (which I have distilled out). After I distilled it out though, I put the acid in some special flasks for storage.