Hydrochloric Acid + Zinc makes Hydrogen

DeepBlue

Yup, yup.

We know that Hydrochloric Acid + Zinc makes Hydrogen gas.

But, I don't know.

What concentration of acid should I use?

High school lab project.

I need to produce a fair amount of hydrogen...not too much. Enough to fill an emu egg.

I have 12M HCl at my disposal..but I don't want to use something so concentrated. I'm just trying to think what a good, safe concentration would be. I can easily dilute it down to whatever I need...but...

I am not worried about the method, steps or equations of arriving at this conclusion, but a general understanding of what you are thinking is great :) I obviously would like to learn about your conclusions...but pushing my through equations isn't truly necessary.

Edited by DeepBlue

What's the volume of an emu egg? Less than a liter? Call it a liter. IIRC ~22liter equals a mole of a gas at stp. So 2 x 0.05 mole of HCl for a little over a liter of H2, very roughly. 100ml of 1M or 200ml of 0.5M HCl should do nicely. Depends on how fast you want it to react. Maybe you'd want to go larger quantity of less concentration, its been a long time since I've handled HCl so I'm just guessing as to a reasonably safe concentration to handle.

Just out of curiousity, why did you fill an emu egg with H2? Sounds like something fun. ;)

We were asked to create a fairly simply and exciting experiment to demonstrate to a group of grade 9's in the high school. It's part of our mark ;)

Creating hydrogen and blowing it up is exciting enough, and scientific!

We were asked to create a fairly simply and exciting experiment to demonstrate to a group of grade 9's in the high school. It's part of our mark ;)

Creating hydrogen and blowing it up is exciting enough, and scientific!

It was something fun. :D

Glad to have helped.