Should Israel Kill Yasser Arafat?

blike

I would tend to agree with you Glider. These ideas have been ingrainded in their heads so long that is very difficult to change them. The ideas seem to be that the others are bad and peaceful negotiations aren't an option. It will take two bold leaders to change this, but then it will have to trickle down through a few generations before the idea of violence is removed from the majority of their culture.

Creating martyrs is no way to construct peace. There is no quick win to peace in the middle east, it's a waste of energy's looking for one. It's an untenable position for the UN (or anyone) to take, to support assassination yet admonish the Palestinian attacks. One of the routes is slow education of the people that might in turn lead to acceptance. The schools at the moment are prone to teaching religion and with it the bigotry and hate of the opposition. A good step would be to ban religion in schools, unless properly regulated.

Perhaps an apology from the British parliament and a visible commitment to the peace process could help. A united front behind the American efforts towards peace.

Anything but murder.

Character assassination is hardly going to work. It's Israel and Palestine; one side is taught in school that the other eats babies. I think that the reputations are low already, and it’s unlikely someone can tap into the social substructure to spread rumours without being found out quite quickly. It’s not like moving surreptitiously into Bradford, really.

Unless you have a third new meaning for the word, of course.

• 1 month later...

i doubt there will ever be peace there.

the plots too thick.

but this is my point of view..

bit of a vicious circle - Palestinians want their homes back, isaeli's don't want to give it back, and put the palestians in a situations where they slip up, and commit illegal acts, which gives Israel a reason not to give them their homes back,.

my prediction anyway, the region will have a war which will lead to a World War(some argue its already started). israel can't take on all Arab countries surrounding them. Therefore the US and UK and a few other nations will jump in.

At that point anything can happen. on one side you got all the weapons that can cause mass destruction, on the other you have got a 'divided' Nation who are awaiting a Muslim Leader (the mahdi) who will re-unite the Islamic states, and Jihad will be declared. There are already things happening in all Islamic countries where they are trying to get rid of corrupt 'puppet' leaders, ranging from the middle east right through to Indonesia.

call me pessimistic if u want. but i see it all happening within the next 15 years.

I don't think anyone wants it to happen, but the rate of change of power in the world is scary.. its a bit of a Race for whose set of Laws should rule the world?!?

My take on it is that there is so much bad air in that place that the war isn't going to stop until something absolutely horrific happens. Sad but true.

Yep.

It's kind of a vicious circle, isn't it?

On one hand you have the Israeli military, who targets and kills a major militant. Sometimes when that happens, they also manage to take out a building or two with a bunch of civilians. The surviving civilians who have just lost a family member will pick up some ammo or bombs and go to Israel(I know I would, under the same circumstances) and blow something up. The Israeli (civilians) want revenge, so they demand their gov't to do something. It send it's military, etc, etc, etc.

no way; israel should not kill arafat. need i repeat che guevara's last words? i will anyway: "i know you have come to kill me. shoot, coward; you are only going to kill a man.'' if israel kills arafat they will compel the palestinians to rise up in much greater force. both arafat and sharon are, essentially, extremist fools. arafat is more of a figurehead than a leader; he actually holds little political power but israel likes to blame him for their problems.

personally, i think the united states should cut funding of israel and eliminate weapons sales to israel. it is the united states who provided the weapons that destroyed palestinian banks and utterly raped the palestinian economy 3 years ago. it is the united states who lead to the starvation and deaths of so many families. it is the united states, who, through syllogism, is recruiting hamas militants. how? simple cycle; palestinian home is blown up. family goes "wtf??? god damn we're poor, starving and homeless." hamas militant approaches, says "g'day. if the patriarch of this family joins us, we'll feed your family, provide shelter and educate your children in an extremely biased manner so they will fight for us willingly later in life. savvy chaps?" and so the father runs off and perhaps dies but hey, his family lives.

the united states could stop this if they would just stop israel from blowing up all the palestinians' homes. they could give money to the palestinians. too bad they dont.