Whats the catch?

alan2here

Plasma balls are cool. They seem to come in two main types though.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=4877514184455579319&ei=1IHySL6rK42siALr3OziDg&q=plasma+balls&hl=en

http://www.clipser.com/watch_video/594460

And you can get the plasma onto the outside of the ball with a metal item or foil.

But look, something new.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9NQcKQ-NNWw

So lets build a larger spherical one.

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that he is not using his finger to touch the outside of the glass.

My plasma ball ignores even large or verry strong magnets and even covering all of the surface in foil dosn't collect enough electristy to burn skin unless you have steady fingers and even then not much.

What ball are you using?

Alan:

I`m not sure what sort you have, but the type I have when half covered in tinfoil is plenty enough to light a Cigarette with, fingers burn easily!

I can`t say I`v noticed anything particularly strange with Magnets, but at the time I only had ceramic types and can`t comment on NIB or Samarium-Cobalt.

I`v no idea in all honesty, there`s dozens of different manufacturers out there, I bought mine in the early 90`s, and it will light up fluorescent tubes quite nicely and set the Geiger counter off! :D

the same circuit is used in these battery powered fluorescent tube lights too, and they`re much cheaper ;)

I have to warn you though, that these not only screw up AM radios but if modified can mess up a good many other electronic ccts, and you would be in violation of FCC regulations.

My plasma ball ignores even large or verry strong magnets and even covering all of the surface in foil dosn't collect enough electristy to burn skin unless you have steady fingers and even then not much.

What ball are you using?

Oh, i ended up throwing out, couldn't tell you now. However, it was a cheepo bought in the local market.

I'd recommend doing thorough research before messing about with a tesla coil. A tesla coil is deceptivly easy to build but keep in mind that a large tesla coil can deliver the same punch as a lightning bolt.

I'd recommend doing thorough research before messing about with a tesla coil. A tesla coil is deceptivly easy to build but keep in mind that a large tesla coil can deliver the same punch as a lightning bolt.

If by large you mean a coil larger than any manmade structure yet then you're probably right. Tesla coils are relatively safe projects compared to stuff like coilguns where a large capacitor bank is used.