skin color and genes

invisiblebrain

skin color as i know is a genetic trait.so our color is predetermined by our parents.

but then can we change it during our life time?

how true are the cosmetic gizmos that say its posssible.

another thing....children as ive seen(some) are fair in childhood but after turing around 15-20 they express darker complections.how can this be explained?

different genes switch on under different circumstances and at different times in life. So there could be some disposition to increased or decreased melatonin production. This may occur entirely naturally, and not after extensive chemical treatment a-la Michael "doesn't matter of you're black or white" Jackson*

*this person is entirely fictional, and any resemblance to anyone alive, dead, or in court on child molestation charges is entirely coincidental.

• 2 weeks later...

i and my friend were of same complexion when were childs but i grew up to be darker than my friend although were in same atmos.it genetic ..true.but can it be changed ?if yes then how exactly is it done?im not asking the cosmetic procedure but the scientific logic behind doing the thing

More UV therefore more melatonin which causes your skin to become darker. This can happen in the same environment as your have different genes that response differently therefore different skin colour!

Your hair can get darker with age due to genes so why not skin?

• 3 months later...

I wonder whether scientist will ever decipher the genes that account for skin color. With all the variety of colors and tones that exist today, it is obvious that there are numerous genes that control skin.

Skin color is based on polygenic inheritance, with perhaps serveral alleles at each gene producing differing amounts of melanin.

• 1 month later...
Guest HaReLdNkUmAr

I know this is skin colour but I was wondering if anyone could explain why your hair turns different colour when like you skin colour is a a recessive or dominant trait from your parents.

Hmm I noticed alot of people have melatonin and melanin confused, atleast Firedragon got it right. I know it is polygenetic and no one is exactly sure how many genes are involved.

As has been said UV light can effect skin colour, as can be seen when people sun-bathe and get a tan. Genes can be switched on throughout life in response to the environment, this could explain why some people get darker. Also the base phenotype for an embryo is transparent, melanin builds up over time producing pigments. This is for example why newborns have blue eyes when born, and the colour develops later, also blonde hair (not sure about really dark newborns) which then gets darker.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mestabolite

Hey guys being an spanish living in England I noticed that my skin really got very milky white from lack of Sun, as well more skin problems and tolerance to sun exposition. So yep enviroment is a very important factor. Babies are less expose to Sun(none in the wound and not much going out and about in pushchairs), and have a more delicate skin, so it is not surprasing than with time and sun esposure their skin adapt to the enviroment by getting darker.

Hey guys being an spanish living in England I noticed that my skin really got very milky white from lack of Sun, as well more skin problems and tolerance to sun exposition.

Your skin produces Vitamin D in response to sunlight, so the skin problems you suffered are most likely related to a Vit-D deficiency caused by the reduced light exposure.

Increasing your Vitamin D intake in your diet or using supplements ought to sort that out (if it's still a problem, that is).

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys being an spanish living in England I noticed that my skin really got very milky white from lack of Sun, .

This indicates that the pigmentation of ur hair & skin are getting darker or lighter depending on the inviroment, that's ur skin get's darker due to the sunlight exposure

the same goes for ur hair pigment... that's a good explaination, Huh?

Yes, melatonin is produced in response to UV light, it is our skins natural defence mechanism from sunburn, if you have enough UV to burn then you've had more than enough to produce your vitamin D requirements. Hair on the otherhand tends to bleach in sunlight... hair is UV protection too.

Guest ImpFetus

There was a interesting article in scientific American some months ago showing a correlation between the level of melatonin in a people of a region and the levels of UV light, Folic acid and Vitamin D. According to the study average skin color for people in a region was determined on how much UV light exposure they got, as UV light reduced the levels of Folic acid and increase the levels of Vitium D, both of which supposedly effect fertility. So if you are to light skin for the region you live in (like Caucasians in South Africa) the high amount of sunlight will reduce folic acid levels in the body and reduce fertility. (Skin cancer is not an evolutionary pressure as it usually happens after breeding age) And if your to Dark skin for the region you live in your Vitamin D levels will be to low, and thus reducing fertility.

Guest ImpFetus

There was a interesting article in scientific American some months ago showing a correlation between the level of melatonin in a people of a region and the levels of UV light, Folic acid and Vitamin D. According to the study average skin color for people in a region was determined on how much UV light exposure they got, as UV light reduced the levels of Folic acid and increase the levels of Vitium D, both of which supposedly effect fertility. So if you are to light skin for the region you live in (like Caucasians in South Africa) the high amount of sunlight will reduce folic acid levels in the body and reduce fertility. (Skin cancer is not an evolutionary pressure as it usually happens after breeding age) And if your to Dark skin for the region you live in your Vitamin D levels will be to low, and thus reducing fertility.