mole day!

hermanntrude

What's the molar mass for a mole (either type)?

Is it fair to say that it would be mainly water so you would need to blow up about 18g of "mole" to achieve the target?

2g of H2 would be more fun, or a mole of thermite, perhaps molded into a mole shape with a bit of gum?

With a high molecular mass fuel you would do a lot of damage. Starch can have a mass of a million or so which would give you a tonne of dust exploding. That would make a big hole.

How widely publicised is "Mole day?"

Edited by John Cuthber

We always celebrated june 22, as well as october 27. Didn't know about the 6:02AM - 6:02PM bit though.

My chem teacher always gave us an extra credit activity about moles, but that was the extent of celebration.

Personally, I like the producing of a mole of water from H2 and O2.

Edited by big314mp
multiple post merged

are you mad? 23 g of sodium? that'd be an enormous reaction. I did it with a gram or two and felt a little scared.

Do it once per student >:D.

My roommate suggested doing some cooking with all ingredient amounts in moles.

My roommate suggested doing some cooking with all ingredient amounts in moles.

Your ingredients would be limited to homogeneous substances for which you know the molecular weight. Basically, you've got water, sugar, and salt to work with. Yum!

I'd imagine that the molecular weight of flour would be fairly constant (mostly starch). Same for butter (mostly fat). It would be a range of fats, and a range of starches, but it would probably average out to something relatively constant. That's most of what you need for cookies.

As to what those molecular weights are, that's a different story. I have no idea.

This solution isn't great, but here goes:

Dissolve a sample of the starch/flour in water, break it down with an enzyme such as amylase, and titrate with benedict's reagent.

Perhaps you could also dissolve some starch in water, and then measure it's freezing point, to determine the molarity.

I looked up (on wikipedia) that all purpose flour is about 11% gluten (I'm assuming by weight). I think that would be needed to do maths, as gluten wouldn't be caught by the first test, and its not particularly soluble in water either.

Both methods would be horribly inaccurate, but they may work.

My roommate now suggests that your students bring in guacaMOLE :doh:

Edited by big314mp
multiple post merged

tell your room mate i'm trying to teach my students chemistry, not puns

I extend my humblest apologies for him :P.

A NaOH + HCl titration, for the 1:1 mole ratio?

Calculate the moles of zinc (or copper) in a penny, via dissolving the inside out with HCl, and then reweighing?

Do baking soda + acid, and then use the volume of the resulting gas to calculate the starting number of moles of reactants?