User feedback on forum changes

Dave

Define main page. This page or the forum index?

We're talking about adjusting the forum index, which should have a login form on the upper right. A login form on the home page would be a good idea, though.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about the home page. Someone did mention the front page, which usually means a home page. Kind of odd that the page you'd first visit wouldn't have a login screen.

I wish there was some simple hack that would allow for you to tick a box when writing a thread that it is a HH question and then it could drop into the normal forum but with a (HW) in the title or similar...

Actually, there is. vB 3.7 offers thread "prefixes", which can be chosen from an admin-defined list and show up in front of the thread title. So you'd have a thread that says "[Homework] combinatorics problem" or something.

I like the forum as it is now BUT i don't see any problem about changing it or removing the homework section.

I think removing it will be really good for the forum since I can see many people registering and posting one thread to solve their HW problems, then they just give up the forum.

I don't intend to say that people won't keep doing it, but I think they won't be jailed in HW section... I think new members will be able to see all around and know the forum and not only their HW thread.

Thanks to you all for the feedback!

Currently my thoughts are to get rid of homework help, and replace it with the tagging scheme that Klaynos has suggested. I think, after some consideration, that it would probably provide the kind of system that we're all fairly happy with. Since there's been no real opposition to the change in forum layout, I may go and implement that tonight.

Thanks for all your help!