Energy efficient computers!

dslc1000

Are fan-less PCs much more energy-efficient than 'fanned' PCs?

I've also read that LCD monitors are considerably more consume less energy.

So, I'm thinking of getting myself an energy-efficient PC (also contemplating switching to the Linux OS - but that's a separate issue). Can anyone give me some advice? I've noticed that some people on these forums have built their own computer.

I suspect that the initial investment for an energy-efficient PC might be higher than it would be otherwise, but I think the savings would be worth it in the long run.

So, are fanless PCs much more expensive? And LCD monitors?

Thanks in advance.

A CRT monitor is generally the most power-hungry element in a PC, unless you have some kind of wacky copper radiator and refigeration system. Switching to LCD will doubtless save energy.

Fans consume almost no power as a proportion of the total used. The alternatives are static devices (like flower heat sinks, or lots of copper baffles - use no power), water cooling (pump etc requires power) or refrigeration (obviously power hungry).

The advantage of static cooling is that it requires no power, but it simply can't shift as much heat as other methods. Flower heat sinks and copper bits for your PC are also very cheap, and obviously make no noise.

Water cooling is nice and quiet but I am not sure how much power it uses. I think there might be several bits that use power but some of them look fairly optional.

Refrigeration is the best solution for getting rid of heat but in terms of resource consumption it's complete over-kill.

I'll bet there are a good few forums and sites that deal specifically with comparisons of power consumption for things like this, so I'd suggets looking for benchmark tests of popular cooling solutions.

I'd suggets looking for benchmark tests of popular cooling solutions

Will do, once I have a chance.

LCD monitors are very expensive it turns out - I've seen prices as high as $1,800 for (I think) a 17" (lowest I found was about $420). Would it be worth the investment? Hmmm..I suspect not. But I'll have to think about it.

Cheers!

I've got myself an LCD monitor (17") for about £300. They're dropping in price pretty quick, but I suggest you wait a little while before you but them. They are definately worth the money; not only do they consume less power, but they take up a lot less room and are comparitively lightweight to CRTs (which is nice for a uni student like myself).

Yeah, good point.

Do you mind me asking where you got the monitor - over the net? The cheapest prices I've seen are in the US, and I'm not sure if they'd ship to my country. But, as you suggested, I think I'll be waiting a while anyway.

I would say buy a lower wattage power supply. I'm sure a 500 watt would consume far more energy than a 200 watt. More things you add to it the more it will consume, take into account what your going to need on the PC and get one for the specific configuration, or add a little. Most PS's run optimal at 70% capacity, for future refrence.

My mom has a celeron 466 or so mghz PC running on a 90 watt powersupply:-\ and yes, still running. Its like 5 or so years old. Has a 7200 rpm HD, 1 or 2 fans, a CD-ROM, and I put my CD-RW in there... still ran, and I think 2x 128 ram chips(PC100 or PC133). Its good for just going online once and a while, with a 90 watt PS, I wouldn't leave it running 24/7/365.

I had a P2 running w/ 288 ram, CD-RW, 7200 rpm HD, and an old 8gig HD that came with it(not sure of RPM) on a 165 watt PS, ran for 7 years then it kept rebooting, not sure if it was the PS or not, got a new one and still did it. Works fine with XP though<shrug>

Yeah' date=' good point.

Do you mind me asking where you got the monitor - over the net? The cheapest prices I've seen are in the US, and I'm not sure if they'd ship to my country. But, as you suggested, I think I'll be waiting a while anyway.[/quote']

Got mine over the net, yeah. Was on special offer though.

By the time you've paid shipping fees (which will be quite substantial), it probably won't really be any cheaper.