Violence: It is insulting!

Ladeira

I live in Rio de Janeiro and I can't hold it anymore.

Last year, I was assaulted twice. It was a terrible experience. My first assaulted was very "simple", the man held my arm and said he would shoot me if I ran as he had a gun (he didn't show it) then he asked for my cellphone. Since I wasn't wanting trouble, I gave him my cellphone. It was on a Thursday.

My second assaulted was in a different place, near my last school in Rio downtown (Tijuca area). I was alone and the place was as empty as a desert. A man came, without a shirt and holding a broken glass bottle. He has put it on my neck and said he would tear my face up. I got scared as the man looked like being under drugs effect. He robbered my bag pack, my mp3 player and my wallet (with documents), then he ran into a slum (I didn't know the place he ran to was a slum, I knew it after because people told me there was a dangerous place). The place I was attacked was in front of a firefighter base. It was on a Saturday (the same week as the first assaulted :-( ).

But why am I angry now?

Last Friday, I was going to the bus stop (18:30h) after a tiring lab class. When I was almost there, two men came and asked me where was the "olympic village" (a place near my school I didn't know where was), and since I got scared because they looked like having bad intentions, I walked back. One of them saw I was afraid (there were some people near the bus stop) and they went away. I changed the corner I was on to one farther... As my bus was coming, the men came back too (the time between they talked to me and their coming back was about 2 minutes). I ran and got the bus before they could catch me. I was pretty scared.

Yesterday, I was walking through a busy overpass while going home from my English course. A man came behind me and held my back and he was about to talk to me (he looked as a typical assaulter). As a reflex action, I ran as fast as I could and as a classmate from the course was near, I told him I almost got assaulted. This classmate, very gentle, went with me to the bus station... as he was an adult, the assaulter hesitated.

The violence in Rio is chaotic. We can't hang out with our friends, we can't go on a walk, we can't go to school, we can't do anything outdoors. We're always scared when we walk through the streets... And the police is absent, the govern is absent and there's nothing we can do, only paying the extremely governement fees.

This thread is a desperate protest.

How are your lifes affected by violence, people? How is it in your city?

Wow, that's awful. I'm from the suburbs here in the US, so not much interesting happens around here.

I've always heard that if you look confident and sure of yourself, you won't get assaulted, as attackers are looking for easy targets. Perhaps you could enroll in a martial arts class to pick up that I-will-kill-you-dead sort of look.

Oh, and spend more time with your friends as a group is harder to attack.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as there isnt much violence to be found in a 250km radius of where I live ;)

i got robed of 2275$ worth of old,rare,coins(im a numismatist)and 500$ from my wallet(left it at home) they broke though a window.i was lucky i wasnt home

i was robd last year of 2275$ worth of rare,old,coins(im a numismatist)and 500$ cash.i was just lucky i wasnt home

Violence is one thing, but this is robbery. Perhaps some sort of neighborhood watch program can help.

Sayonara3 went to a martial arts school there in Rio, Ladeira. It's always good to be able to defend yourself. But I agree with big314mp, the best thing to do is travel with friends, big friends with muscles and crazy eyes.

In a tank.

Violence is one thing, but this is robbery.

I think that when they threaten you, it becomes violence. Anyway, what happens is more than someone running and taking your cellphone from your hand. You're being approached on a street and listening to death threats. For me, it's a kind of violence. The big problem is that it is not an isolated event, it happens all the time.

Perhaps some sort of neighborhood watch program can help.

It's rare here. I would love a program like this but it wouldn't work because it wouldn't be supported. BTW, people around here don't have a sense of community.

Sayonara3 went to a martial arts school there in Rio, Ladeira. It's always good to be able to defend yourself. But I agree with big314mp, the best thing to do is travel with friends, big friends with muscles and crazy eyes.

In a tank.

I'll think about the idea of martial arts. It would be pretty interesting. But while I'm not a black belt, I'll try the other option :D

Move somewhere else, a safer city, a safer neighboring country.

All my life is here... changing so suddenly would be like going to an unknown place and abandoning all the life I have here. I would love to move, but there are parents' work and all this stuff.

Wow, that's awful. I'm from the suburbs here in the US, so not much interesting happens around here.

interesting ??? :eek:

I've always heard that if you look confident and sure of yourself, you won't get assaulted, as attackers are looking for easy targets. Perhaps you could enroll in a martial arts class to pick up that I-will-kill-you-dead sort of look.

Oh, and spend more time with your friends as a group is harder to attack.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as there isnt much violence to be found in a 250km radius of where I live ;)

I am a short and thin teenager. I am an easy target and it can't be changed.

As I told Phi for All, I loved the martial arts idea and I'll look forward to it. :eek: Where the heaven do you live??? :confused:

Violence in Rio is like an old New York.

Unfortunately, the only violence I've ever known, I finished. However, I hated it too, so now I just look like I could beat somebody up and they usually leave me alone - though it helps to be able to back it up!

Definitely look into martial arts, smaller people definitely benefit from such - although personally, if they have a gun or better, I usually give it up anyway. I'd say travel in as crowded and lit area as possible, but it sounds like you do that

Well, life can get kinda boring around here. "Here" being listed in my location thingie :D

And, TBH, the confidence boost that a good martial arts class can give, is sometimes enough to ward off attackers.

Any chance of pepper spray/taser type devices? Even here, some of my friends carry these when they go out alone. They are a bit paranoid if you ask me though ;) Your situation is a bit different.

Best of luck!

I currently live in New York City, which for a major metropolis is actually extremely safe (excepting a few bad areas). I have also lived in Baltimore, where the violent crime rate is literally many times higher, and it's amazing what a difference it makes. When people are scared it really destroys a city and the neighborhoods within it, which in turn allows and encourages more crime. It's hard to say what originally causes it, but it's clear that poverty, corruption, and even poor urban planning play roles. I can only imagine what it must be like in Rio, where it sounds like things are really out of control.

I currently live in New York City, which for a major metropolis is actually extremely safe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a change in tactics with crime prevention in New York City that dramatically reduced how dangerous the city was. IIRC they concentrated heavily on petty crime, and this somehow had a knock on effect...I'll try and find a link.

I can only sympathize with your situation Ladeira, and I think running is probably the best tactic, especially as you're a skinny teenager, you probably have an advantage in that area.

The area where I live is pretty safe, we have the odd problem now and again, usually involving groups of teenagers who are just bored. I have visited dangerous parts of Central and South America, there was a place in Panama that springs to mind, where we suddenly realized everyone around us was staring at us, and we had to dash into a taxi...the driver was doing the finger across the neck gesture. Honduras was quite sketchy as well, especially Tegucigulpa, everyone assumed we were American, and there were a couple of occasions we were spat at, and called something or other, but luckily no violence towards us. (No offense to any Americans on here.)

Ladeira, take the martial arts classes.

However, what you describe is no way to live. I'd move, family and all.

How is it in your city?

Well, Uncle Jim got into an argument with Ned Smith over a cow back in '57 and people still talk about it.:D

Seriously though, it's nothing like what you are living through. Move man, and take your family with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_de_Janeiro#Crime

Rio has high crime rates, especially homicide, in poor areas dominated by drug lords, primarily in the North Zone.[40] As of 2007, the homicide rate of the greater metropolitan area stood at nearly 30 victims per week, with the majority of victims falling to mugging, stray bullets or narcoterrorism.[41][42] In 2006, 2,273 people were murdered in the city giving it a murder rate of 37.7 cases for every 100,000 people.[43] Note that these numbers have dropped considerably from 3,728 murders and a rate of 62.8 cases as registered in 2002;[44] as a comparison, London's murder rate for 2006 was 2.2 cases for every 100,000 population.[45] According to federal government research,[2] the city itself ranks 206th in the list of the 5,565 most violent cities in Brazil and first in total number of firearm-related deaths. Between 1978 and 2000, 49,900 people were killed in Rio.[46] The Urban Warfare involves drug-traffic battle with police fighting against outlaws, or even corrupt policemen on their side.

Rio de Janeiro's low paid and ill-equipped police are violent as well, it has been said.[47] In 2007, the police allegedly killed 1,330 people in the state,[48] an increase of 25 percent over 2006 when 1,063 people were killed, in 2003 that number plateaued at 1,195. In comparison the American police killed only 347 people in whole of the United States during 2006.[49][50] The average Rio policeman earns only R$874 a month or R$10,488 (around US$6,000) a year.[51] Compounding the problem of crime is impunity. Only 3 percent of the murders are solved by Rio's police.[52]

Looks like your best option is to move elsewhere, if you can. I would advise against martial arts, as actually using it would put your life in danger. Safer to just cooperate.

In any case, you should focus on prevention. Do some reading on the subject. Avoid risky areas, and try to travel with friends. Split your money into two wallets (make it look authentic by putting your old documents in it). Don't walk around typing on your cell phone, nor look distracted. Look alert but confident.

Looks like your best option is to move elsewhere, if you can. I would advise against martial arts, as actually using it would put your life in danger. Safer to just cooperate.

In any case, you should focus on prevention. Do some reading on the subject. Avoid risky areas, and try to travel with friends. Split your money into two wallets (make it look authentic by putting your old documents in it). Don't walk around typing on your cell phone, nor look distracted. Look alert but confident.

That last bit is where martial arts can help. If you actually try and use it, you're gonna get cut up (literally).

Idk... In the end I guess moving is the best option!

I liked all the answers... I'll look forward to martial arts, only to be prepared to use it if I really need it. I also liked the idea of carrying a pepper spray !! I've heard that some old women use it when going out... pretty interesting. :D

And running for me is the best tastic if the distance is short, but I've got to say I'm an asthmatic skinny teenager lol. So running may be kinda impossible if it's more than 100 meters.

And what police say about it? Nothing. They don't investigate homicides (imagine assaults!) as MrSkeptic quoted from Wikipedia. I don't even go to a police office, it's a waste of time.

put some Arsenic pentoxide in a drugs baggie and keep that in your fake wallet too, you can at least walk away then with a smile knowing that you`v extracted some sort of revenge >:D

what an evil thing :o

anyway, i've got no idea how to obtain it. :)

maybe, i'll get something from organic lab class... there are all sorts of toxic things :D

Today I watched a documentary about the violence in Rio. It can be compared with a war... Some interesting facts say that each three hours, someone is murdered in Rio and there are nine times more deaths happening through urban violence in Rio than in the Israeli–Palestinian conflicts.

Edited by Ladeira

Laderia i think martial arts will be best along with some pepper spray.If you learn martial arts in right way then you can help yourself under any circumstances.there are some tricks in which you can even make someone unconscious so hope situations become better...an't your govt doing anything?

Ladeira, the martial arts will help build your stamina. This will let you run faster and further.

Keep in mind the first rule of dirty street fighting;

"If you can't talk your way out, and you can't run your way out, and there isn't a block of wood handy, then fight him fair and square."

Mate, I won my last fight by 100 metres and three fences.:D

Bottom line is move, and take your family with you.

Ladeira, the martial arts will help build your stamina. This will let you run faster and further.

Keep in mind the first rule of dirty street fighting;

"If you can't talk your way out, and you can't run your way out, and there isn't a block of wood handy, then fight him fair and square."

Mate, I won my last fight by 100 metres and three fences.:D

Bottom line is move, and take your family with you.

Scaring :eek:

But creative sentence :D

These days are being funny... When I see someone who looks strange, I run from the person even if people think it pretty weird.