thought on earth formation

dan1dad

Ok, this may be totally stupid, but I was thinking that would it be possible if a planet, such as earth, could have actually formed due to a dying star? The center of our planet is molten iron that is close to the temperature of the sun, that and our relative proximity to the sun is what helps make our planet a habitat that our life form can live on. So here is my weird thought on this.

What if when a star is dying , over millions or billions of years it is dying the gases surrounding it that contain dust and debris begin to accumulate and form a crust around the dying star. The star shrinks over a long period of time , the outer crust grows larger, until the surrounding debris is just about all collected in the molting crust encasing whats left of the star. As the crust thickens and the dying star cools, the surface comes to a temp that could possibly support life.

Now this is just a brain storm i had , but i wanted to know if its possible that something like this could be possible?? It would happen over millions or billions of years, so it would be next to impossible to actually see happen, but no one has seen a planet form either, so most of the information out their is educated guesses. Could my guess be plausible ?

be kind, Im still a virgin here :)

Temperature of the earths core: ~6000K

Tempearture of the suns core: ~13 600 000K

Similar you say? ;)

But fundamentally no, there are just not enough dead stars around and the composision of the earth does not indicate that.... it is of course true that teh whole solar system is formed from the remnants of a dead star, but not anything as substantial as a core...

We understand (mostly) the formation and death of stars, we've got some quite good observational evidence, we've even got ALOT of images of planet forming disks around new stars...

we are made from a dead star but it didn't happen in the way you think.

dead star exploded and formed a big gas cloud called a nebula, the nebula collapsed and formed the sun and a protoplanetary disk, rocks and gasses stuck to each other to form the lumps we call planets today.

and 99% of the sun is millions of degrees hotter than the core of the earth. its only the surface which is a relatively chilly 6000K

One thing that is never added to analysis, is because the earth's iron core is magnetic could the precursor core of the earth have intially formed due to the magnetic attraction of iron? This type of attraction is much stronger than gravity and could have provided a seed onto which gravity would then act. One way or another, the iron needed to be induce to be magnetic, so even if it was meteors colloding, these huge magnets could find each other easier than with only gravity to attract them. One logical result expected is a lot of iron will be found in centers that become mother magnetics.

One way around this is the assumption the sun is a second generation star. It had an original beginning, went nova to produce the seed material and reformed the new sun, with our sun more or less centered on the original position of the first generation sun.

Temperature of the earths core: ~6000K

Tempearture of the suns core: ~13 600 000K ..

Sorry about that, I got the info that the inner core of the earth was as hot as the sun from Discovery channel. Should have known better.

Also, Id like to clarify that my original post is not what I actually think at this time, it was just a theory. not even a hypothesis. Kind of a , What if question. But I am glad I posted it, its really created an interesting thread. for me at least.

Edited by dan1dad

One way around this is the assumption the sun is a second generation star. It had an original beginning, went nova to produce the seed material and reformed the new sun, with our sun more or less centered on the original position of the first generation sun.

One of the thigns with a supernova is that it has ALOT of energy, there would not be enough mass left at the centre to form a sun sized star with the current composition of elements in teh sun.

-----------------

Travellers posts and replies moved to:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35539

One thing that is never added to analysis, is because the earth's iron core is magnetic could the precursor core of the earth have intially formed due to the magnetic attraction of iron? This type of attraction is much stronger than gravity and could have provided a seed onto which gravity would then act. One way or another, the iron needed to be induce to be magnetic, so even if it was meteors colloding, these huge magnets could find each other easier than with only gravity to attract them. One logical result expected is a lot of iron will be found in centers that become mother magnetics.

I've never heard this one before ( but Im no scientist, just interested in it ) but I could see it. Because without gravity like here on earth, magnetism might have a more intense draw, and travel a lot further.

I wonder what would happen if you put a decent sized electromagnet in space? Would it draw magnetic , iron based material towards it? who knows, maybe even a refrigerator magnet would do the trick in space though? Then again, if the earth is magnetic, why wouldnt we see me iron based materials in space drawn to it? I would think it would attract more than the few meteors we get now. If they even have anything to do with the earths magnetism.

This is not true, the force would be negligable compared to gravity in space...

What I had in mind was not the final earth attracting iron, with its thick layer of insulating mantle and crust. I was thinking along the lines of the original dust, rocks of iron within a cloud of hydrogen, water and the dust and rocks of other materials. If the iron is magnetic this will separate itself out due to magnetism.

We can run an experiment in the space shuttle were we take a mixture of dust and gases, including some magnetic iron dust. The gravity is not high enough to be affective so we can cancel out this variable. We let the dust and gas float in zero gravity and see if the iron dust begins to concentrate itself.

To answer whether it'd have an effect I'd need to know more about the planatary disk which I don't, things like how big the dust particles are how mixed they are etc... I suspect the probability of getting a magnetised particle is so tiny that there'd be little to no change to having non-ferromagnetic dust...

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry about that, I got the info that the inner core of the earth was as hot as the sun from Discovery channel. Should have known better.

I think what they meant was that the center of the Earth was close to the temperature of the surface of the Sun,

• 2 weeks later...

Also, Id like to clarify that my original post is not what I actually think at this time, it was just a theory. not even a hypothesis. Kind of a , What if question. But I am glad I posted it, its really created an interesting thread. for me at least.

Actually it's the core of the Earth is more or less the same temp as the surface of the sun. I saw that show too. opps sorry for the cross post janus

Edited by Moontanman
cross post