Making chlorine

barquentine

My final experiment for the 9th grade this morning in the elemental synthesis set involved me making some chlorine >:D (to demonstrate synthesis of NaCl using pure sodium metal; magnesium chloride, etc.)

I was too busy to have much time to prepare so, remembering that mixing glass cleaning products (ammonia) with household bleach, I borrowed some bleach from home. Using a dropper funnel and filter flask with a bubbler and some 250mL Ehrlenmeyer flasks to collect it, I began ... and it was pathetic. I ended up using about 100 mL of bleach in the reaction flask and added around 100 mL of 30% ammonia solution. I got a grand total of 1 flask of chlorine, about 250 mL. Doesn't seem like a good method so now I am considering all those dire warnings about mixing household chemicals might be O.T.T.

Having only one test flask I set light to the magnesium ribbon and dropped it into the chlorine. Nice bright white-ish yellow-green flame. I am deffo going to have to build a fume cupboard for the lab though ... cough cough

• 3 months later...

I use Cl2 as my main precursor chemical (usually for making chlorates, gaseous HCl streams and stuff). As such i have a very effiecient and CHEAP way of making it. You will need

1) Adequate ventilation (outside is a must, unless you have a very good fume cupboard)

2) Calcium Hypochlorite pellets or granuals. (i get 70% in "pool chlorine" products, notably "pool shock treatments")

3) 37% Hydrochloric acid (this is the best acid to use because it is cheap)

Ok so simply mix the 2 (eventually you will pick up on what amounts you need according to your applications). Most of the Cl2 gas will be liberated within the first 10 secs, in a reaction resembling that of the famous Bicarb/vinegar reaction [with a familiar green tinge of coarse ;)].

Ca(ClO)2 + 4HCl --> CaCl2 + 2H2O + 2Cl2

NOTE: Cl2 is a corrosive toxic gas... etc etc, im sure you have read the MSDS... also HCl is corrosive and will fume in moist air (note, although i have breathed these fumes at low concentration with no adverse respiratory effects, my teeth are now happy that i avoid it.) and of coarse Ca(ClO)2 is toxic and corrosive and OXIDISING!! oh, and bleaching, don't wear your good black pants... trust me on that one!