Faster than light-projection hypothesis-

Suhail Jalbout

E = mc2 = m(c/cos0)2

By Suhail Jalbout

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light; the Theory of Relativity tells us. I think that it is possible for a single pulse of light energy, transmitted at random, to do just that if projected on an incline. The speed of each projected pulse will travel faster than the speed of light. I am not certain whether my analysis is purely a mathematical exercise or whether it has important theoretical and practical implications. I leave this in the hands of the experts.

Here are the equations that support my hypothesis.

A. SPEED

Let

c = the speed of the light energy pulse from the source (the speed of light)

V = the speed of the projected pulse on the incline

Ø = the angle between the direction of propagation of the pulse from the source and the incline

Then, the speed of the projected pulse is: V = c / cos Ø ………………equation (1)

When Ø approaches 0°, cos Ø = 1 and when Ø approaches 90°, cos Ø = 0.

Substituting these numbers in equation (1) gives:

 cos Ø = 1 , V = c

 cos Ø = 0 , V = ∞

B. ENERGY

The energy of the projected pulse is:

E = mV2 = m(c/cosØ)2

 cos Ø = 1 , E = mc2

 cos Ø = 0 , E = ∞

C. SPECIAL RELATIVITY EQUATIONS

 cos Ø = 1 and speed c, Time Dilation = T = t₀ x 0 = 0

 cos Ø = 0 and speed ∞, “Time Dilation” = T = t₀

 cos Ø = 1 and speed c, Length Contraction = L = l₀ x 0 = 0

 cos Ø = 0 and speed ∞, “Length Contraction” = L = l₀

 cos Ø = 1 and speed c, Relativistic Mass = M = m₀ x ∞ = ∞

 cos Ø = 0 and speed ∞, “Relativistic Mass” = M = m₀

In conclusion, there are two special cases relevant to the change in the values of angle Ø from 0° to 90° :

a. If Ø approaches 0°, cos Ø = 1 : the speed of propagation is equal to the speed of light and nothing will travel faster than this speed.

b. If Ø approaches 90°, cos Ø = 0 : the speed of propagation is infinite and travel is instantaneous without any changes to the steady state conditions of time, length and mass.

E=mc2 is not valid for photons. You need to use the full version of the equation:

E2=p2c2+(mc2)2

So any conclusions you find would be invalid.

That depends on what m is and he clearly defined it as relativistic mass which makes it correct for photons.

That depends on what m is and he clearly defined it as relativistic mass which makes it correct for photons.

Obviously not clearly enough :P Another reason I don't like relativistic mass...

It also adds in more difficulties if you use the full equation I wrote down as p would also have an angular dependence...

Well the premiss that because you can have

a = b+c

=> a=(b+c)/Cos0

=> a=(b+c)/Cos(Phi)

Is false anyway.

No, it can't be right. You simply can't say [math]E=Mc^2[/math].

You need to say [math]E=\gamma Mc^2[/math], or assume [math]M=0[/math] in the equation [math]E^2=p.pc^{2}+M^2c^2[/math].

But never [math]E=Mc^2[/math] alone.

No, it can't be right. You simply can't say [math]E=Mc^2[/math].

You need to say [math]E=\gamma Mc^2[/math], or assume [math]M=0[/math] in the equation [math]E^2=p.pc^{2}+M^2c^2[/math].

But never [math]E=Mc^2[/math] alone.

Some people like to include the gamma in the M... very bad practise imo, it's annoying and unclear.

Well, i could argue its only unclear, if you don't know that mass in special relativity [math]M[/math] is better expressed as a relativistic mass [math]M=\gamma M[/math].

But it truely lyes where you heart finds comfortable. I personally find using gamma much easier to recognize when talking about relativistic mass.:eyebrow:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the new title. I have updated the hypothesis to include possible applications. It reads as follows:

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light; the Theory of Relativity tells us. I think that it is possible for a single pulse of light energy, transmitted at random, to do just that if projected on an incline. I believe that in such a case the speed of each projected pulse will travel faster than the speed of light. I am not certain whether my analysis is purely a mathematical exercise or whether it has important theoretical and practical implications. I leave this in the hands of the experts.

Here are the equations that support my theory.

A. SPEED

Let

Ø = the angle between the direction of propagation of the pulse from the source and the incline

Then, the speed of the projected pulse is:

V = c / cos Ø ……………………………………….......…........equation (1)

When Ø approaches 0°, cos Ø = 1 and

when Ø approaches 90°, cos Ø = 0.

 cos Ø = 1, V = c

 cos Ø = 0, V = ∞

B. ENERGY

Let

e = the energy of the light pulse from the source

E = the energy of the projected pulse on the incline

Ø = the angle between them

Then, the energy of the projected pulse is:

E = e / cosØ ………………………………………………............equation (2)

 cos Ø = 1, E = e

 cos Ø = 0, E= ∞

C. SPECIAL INCLINE ANGLE EQUATIONS

a.“Time Dilation” = T = t₀ [1 – cos Ø ²]¹′² …………....equation (3)

 cos Ø = 1, T = 0

 cos Ø = 0, T = t₀

b.“Length Contraction” = L = l₀ [1 – cos Ø ²]¹′² ….…equation (4)

 cos Ø = 1, L = 0

 cos Ø = 0, L = l₀

c.“Relativistic Mass” = M = m₀ / [1 – cos Ø ²]¹′²…….equation (5)

 cos Ø = 1, M = ∞

 cos Ø = 0, M = m₀

D. CONCLUSION

In conclusion, there are two special cases relevant to the change in the values of angle Ø from 0° to 90°:

a. If Ø approaches 0°, cos Ø = 1; the speed of propagation is equal to the speed of light and nothing will travel faster than this speed.

b. If Ø approaches 90°, cos Ø = 0; the speed of propagation is infinite and travel is instantaneous without any changes to the steady state conditions of time, length, and mass.

E. POSSIBLE APPLICATIONS

a. A pulse of light energy zooming above a black hole will change its horizontal direction of propagation towards the black hole. This is equivalent to having the pulse projected on an incline. The speed of the pulse on the incline is: V=c/cosØ. Hence,

 cos Ø = 1 , V = c; the pulse will continue its propagation undisturbed

 cos Ø = 0 , V = ∞ ; the pulse will enter the black hole at infinite speed and will never be seen again. This is possibly the reason why BH are black

b. A pulse of electromagnetic or communication signal will enter a black hole at infinite speed if projected at cos Ø = 0. Assuming data can be compacted on a single pulse, black holes can then be used as transporters of information. Communication can take place instantaneously between the earth and any other world in our universe or any other world in any other universe. At last there may be a possible use for black holes.

c. It is quite possible that the incline angle hypothesis may explain the cosmic coupling phenomenon.

Thank you for the new title. I have updated the hypothesis to include possible applications. It reads as follows:

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light; the Theory of Relativity tells us. I think that it is possible for a single pulse of light energy, transmitted at random, to do just that if projected on an incline. I believe that in such a case the speed of each projected pulse will travel faster than the speed of light. I am not certain whether my analysis is purely a mathematical exercise or whether it has important theoretical and practical implications. I leave this in the hands of the experts.

Here are the equations that support my theory.

A. SPEED

Let

Then, the speed of the projected pulse is:

V = c / cos Ø ……………………………………….......…........equation (1)

When Ø approaches 0°, cos Ø = 1 and

when Ø approaches 90°, cos Ø = 0.

? cos Ø = 1, V = c

? cos Ø = 0, V = ?

B. ENERGY

Let

e = the energy of the light pulse from the source

E = the energy of the projected pulse on the incline

Ø = the angle between them

Then, the energy of the projected pulse is:

E = e / cosØ ………………………………………………............equation (2)

? cos Ø = 1, E = e

? cos Ø = 0, E= ?

C. SPECIAL INCLINE ANGLE EQUATIONS

a.“Time Dilation” = T = t? [1 – cos Ø ²]¹?² …………....equation (3)

? cos Ø = 1, T = 0

? cos Ø = 0, T = t?

b.“Length Contraction” = L = l? [1 – cos Ø ²]¹?² ….…equation (4)

? cos Ø = 1, L = 0

? cos Ø = 0, L = l?

c.“Relativistic Mass” = M = m? / [1 – cos Ø ²]¹?²…….equation (5)

? cos Ø = 1, M = ?

? cos Ø = 0, M = m?

D. CONCLUSION

In conclusion, there are two special cases relevant to the change in the values of angle Ø from 0° to 90°:

a. If Ø approaches 0°, cos Ø = 1; the speed of propagation is equal to the speed of light and nothing will travel faster than this speed.

b. If Ø approaches 90°, cos Ø = 0; the speed of propagation is infinite and travel is instantaneous without any changes to the steady state conditions of time, length, and mass.

E. POSSIBLE APPLICATIONS

a. A pulse of light energy zooming above a black hole will change its horizontal direction of propagation towards the black hole. This is equivalent to having the pulse projected on an incline. The speed of the pulse on the incline is: V=c/cosØ. Hence,

? cos Ø = 1 , V = c; the pulse will continue its propagation undisturbed

? cos Ø = 0 , V = ? ; the pulse will enter the black hole at infinite speed and will never be seen again. This is possibly the reason why BH are black

b. A pulse of electromagnetic or communication signal will enter a black hole at infinite speed if projected at cos Ø = 0. Assuming data can be compacted on a single pulse, black holes can then be used as transporters of information. Communication can take place instantaneously between the earth and any other world in our universe or any other world in any other universe. At last there may be a possible use for black holes.

c. It is quite possible that the incline angle hypothesis may explain the cosmic coupling phenomenon.

None of this can be used to carry information faster than c.

For example, a person at the bottom of the incline can not use this to send information to a person at the top of the incline. He has no control over over the information in the light beam. That is controlled at the source. He is merely an inactive observer.

Janus wrote: “For example, a person at the bottom of the incline cannot use this to send information to a person at the top of the incline. He has no control over the information in the light beam. That is controlled at the source. He is merely an inactive observer.”

Exactly for this reason I wrote in the first paragraph:” I think that it is possible for a single pulse of light energy, TRANSMITED AT RANDOM….” I did not refer to transmitted information in the light beam.

Tsadi wrote: “I see no correspondence in any of this with any coupling. Help me out here. Also, for the record, what is a cosmic coupling phenomenon?”

As you may note from the following review, it is quite possible that the two subatomic particles are coupled or connected or “entangled” with one another because cosØ = 0.

Editorial Reviews of the Book: “Entanglement: the Greatest Mystery in Physics” by Dr. Amir Aczel

From Publishers Weekly

In his newest book, Aczel (Fermat's Last Theorem) discusses a great mystery in physics: the concept of entanglement in quantum physics. He begins by explaining that "entanglement" occurs when two subatomic particles are somehow connected or "entangled" with one another, so that when something happens to one particle, the same thing simultaneously happens to the other particle, even if it's miles away. However, this concept violates the theory of special relativity, since communication between two places cannot occur faster than the speed of light. Einstein knew that the mathematics of quantum theory predicted that this could happen, but he didn't believe it. In the last decade, researchers have shown in laboratory experiments that entanglement does indeed happen, and in one case it occurred over a distance of almost 10 miles. Aczel explores how a Star Trek-like teleportation may be possible via entanglement (however, a particle's quantum state, not the entire particle, is teleported to its mate), though perhaps at the expense of demonstrating entanglement's more real-world applications to cryptography. General readers may need to skim over his technical explanations, whereas more advanced readers will be interested in only the last third of the book. While the book won't satisfy dedicated science buffs, it will be an accessible entry into this concept of quantum physics.

Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.

From Library Journal

"Entanglement" is one of the more remarkable aspects of quantum mechanics, a field that has produced a number of counterintuitive phenomena. Entangled particles are created in the same process and retain a connection even if they become far separated physically. If a change is later imposed on one of these particles, then there instantaneously occurs a change with its entangled partner, even if that partner is very far away in another part of the universe. Thus, the news of the change is transmitted with infinite velocity by an unknown means. Einstein aptly referred to this phenomenon as "spooky." In recent decades, researchers have shown entanglement to be a physical fact, thereby vindicating quantum mechanics, spooky though it may be. Aczel (Fermat's Last Theorem) tells most of this story at a pace that is slow enough and understandable for lay readers, but the last few chapters are more technical. Some sections read awkwardly and would have benefited from better editing, but on the whole this is recommended for college and large public libraries.

Jack W. Weigel, Ann Arbor, MI

Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Product Description

Since cyberspace became reality, the lines between "science" and "science fiction" have become increasingly blurred. Now, quantum mechanics promises that some of humanity's wildest dreams may be realized. Serious scientists, working from Einstein's theories, have been investigating the phenomenon known as "entanglement," one of the strangest aspects of our strange universe. According to Einstein, quantum mechanics required entanglement — the idea that subatomic particles could become linked, and that a change to one such particle would instantly be reflected in its counterpart, even if separated by a universe. Einstein felt that if quantum theory could produce such bizarre effects, then it had to be invalid. But new experiments show that not only does it happen, but that it may lead to unbreakable codes, and even teleportation, perhaps in our lifetime.

About the Author

Amir D. Aczel earned both his B.A. in mathematics and master of sciences degree from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Ph.D. from the University of Oregon. He is a professor at Bentley College in Waltham, MA. Among other books, he is the author of The Mystery of the Aleph: Mathematics, the Kabbalah, and the Search for Infinity (2000; U.K. and U.S. paperback to Simon & Schuster), God's Equation: Einstein, Relativity and the Expanding Universe (1999; paperback to Dell); and Fermat's Last Theorem: Unlocking the Secret of an Ancient Mathematical Problem (1996; paperback to Dell). His work has been translated into French, German, Japanese, Dutch, Turkish, Hebrew, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish and Finnish.

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding QE dosen't violate SR?

Entanglement can occur let's say between 2 electrons in different parts of the universe, but in that moment when you make a change or meassure one of the electrons, the other one will "feel" the change/measurement - but that information is not transported across the univers in an instant, if it was it would violate SR, instead it just happens, as mentioned like some sort of teleportation.

By doing so, SR remains unviolated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, been away from this forum for a couple of months - studying math and physics no kidding all day long :)

But QE comes later in my studies, so any input would be appriciated.

No energy, matter or information is transferred. A crudely simplified, classical analogy is having two identical boxes, one with a black marble inside and one with a white marble inside. The boxes are then mixed up so that you have no idea which box contains which marble, and then send the other box to someone. If you then open your box and discover a black marble you will instantly know that the other person has the white marble. Obviously, no information was transferred superluminally. FTL communication would be possible only if you could actually somehow decide which marble to discover, thus "controlling" which marble the other person has in their box. This isn't the case with the marbles, nor is it the case with entangled photons.

Edited by Gilded

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light; the Theory of Relativity tells us. I think that it is possible for a single pulse of light energy, transmitted at random, to do just that if projected on an incline.

Why all the detailed math for something that is intuitively obvious? Take a laser projector, mount it on a pivot, aim it at the moon, and rotate the laser so the beam sweeps across the face of the moon. All it takes is a paltry 1/8 RPM rotation rate of the laser to make the swept beam appear to cross the face of the Moon at the speed of light. Rotate the laser faster than 1/8 RPM and swept beam will exceed the speed of light.

Does this violate relativity? Of course not. A person on the Moon could not use the laser beam to communicate with another person on the Moon.

A. For teleportation to work, the speed should be infinite so that there will be no change to the steady state conditions of time, length, or mass.

B. Possible answers to the following questions:

a. Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

The answer is yes if a light beam is projected on an incline.

b. Is it possible to transmit data faster than the speed of light?

The answer is yes if an electromagnetic pulse, transmitted at random, is projected on an incline. The challenge is to compact data on each single transmitted pulse.

E = mc2 = m(c/cos0)2

By Suhail Jalbout

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light; the Theory of Relativity tells us. I think that it is possible for a single pulse of light energy, transmitted at random, to do just that if projected on an incline.

If it's a particle of light going faster than the speed of light than isn't it going faster than itself?

Lots of things can travel faster than the speed of light, but not if they have energy. A corollary is that anything carrying information cannot travel faster than the speed of light. However, things like shadows and points of intersection that themselves have no substance to them can travel faster than the speed of light.

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light; the Theory of Relativity tells us.

The theory of relativity actually tells us no such thing. D H has already given a trivial example of something traveling faster than c. But there is no information that is exceeding c; causality is not violated.