What is Your Life's Ambition and Has It Changed?

jimmydasaint

i am considering becoming a trophy wife or i could go with my second choise which would be joining those somalian (spelling?) pirates, plundering and sailing the seas with high powered weapons of course >:D

thats pretty much all i have in mind about now

any ideas for me?

If you want to pillage and plunder in a nice environment - wall street. If you want danger - WalMart greeter during the holidays. Want to be a trophy wife, go to golf courses.

Well, my ambitions have definately changed over the years:

<=13 or so: Fighter Pilot, Cop

13-15: Computer Programmer or Engineer

15-17: Musician (got my first guitar) Computer Programmer or Engineer

18-26: Musician, Mechanical Engineer

26-the end: Provide for my family, Raise my boys to be good men, and maybe succeed in my career, oh and still become a musician, at least part time...

Currently, i'm in my 29th year and I still suck at playing that first guitar, but I am living the (no so dreamy) life of a Mechanical Engineer, working in aerospace. My kids are so far so good, but their still too young to tell if they'll turn out like I hope.

When I was pretty young, I wanted to be a scientist... in second grade we had to do a sketch of what we wanted to be went we grew up, I designed a semi-submersible vessel that I would use to try and find the lockness monster. :D

I designed submarines till I was about 12 or 13 (thanks to supportive parents, I got to hang out with some experts in the field), but then I got heavily into computer programming and haven't looked back.

Currently, I am working towards taking over the world. (Well, not taking it over per se, but starting and leading what will be the world's strongest superpower.) When I take a good couple hours to explain my intricate plot, I usually get good feedback the estimated chances for success, but it's definitely a long shot.

But heck, I'll be cold bones in the ground at some point either way - why not try to do something big? :D

I have always wanted to do something scientific, exactly what I had in mind changed many times over the course of my education and work.

My ambition now is to finish my PhD and get a paper out there. After that, we will have to see what happens.

Like ecoli, I tended to add goals rather than change them. At one point, I wanted to be a comedy writer, physicist, pirate, philosopher, brewer, diplomat, naval architect, and benevolent dictator of a small, tropical island nation. Of course, currently I'm none of those things (not full time, anyway). And eventually I realized all I really wanted was to surround myself with smart, interesting people who could make me laugh and talk about anything. As for my current career, it's none of the things I aspired to, but it is interesting, very unusual, and makes good use of the schizophrenic education I acquired pursuing other things.

I've always been interested in science, and when i was a kid i was very interested in animals and stuff. So a biologist was my first dreamprofession. Then in middle school, when i was around 14 years old, we had chemistry as a subject for the first time, and since then i was hooked.

Today my major interests still are chemistry and biology.

And now, at the age of 19, i'm studying chemical engineering (with inclination to pharmaceutical chemistry) at my university.

from the time i could walk, up until elementary school sometime, i wanted to be picasso. my dad was an art teacher, so i grew up with paint splatters and drawings all over the house - thinking back at it, imo, i was a pretty strange kid (i havnt met anyone other kid who would hole up in his room 8 hours a day just because they wanted "to finish one more page of the comic"). ive been pretty much drawing/painting/making comic books, etc ever since i could walk. so pretty much my life ambition is to be a well known painter for making art that "calms" people.

that doesnt mean ill be able to get a job structured around that. ive recently started to realize that no matter how many times people say "do what you love, do what you love", in my case, "doing what i love" and making a living may be two different things. my life ambition hasnt changed, though im expecting to enter a field thats completely unrelated to it heh...