LHC delayed 2 months---incident on 19 September

Martin

A mechanical failure resulted in a large helium leak around midday Friday (yesterday) in sector 34. The mechanical failure is presumed due to a bad electrical connection between two magnets. The magnets carry high current, so if a part of the circuit loses superconductivity and develops resistance, it can quickly heat and blow.

CERN press release:

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR09.08E.html

The repair is expected to be quick (a few days at most.) What will take time, and will cause at least a two month delay, is that sector 34 will have to be warmed up first (to permit opening for repair) and then cooled down again---to restore superconductivity. It is the warming up and cooling down that takes time.

I would guess that collisions will be put off until next year---hopefully early in the year, perhaps right after the winter break.

This is sad and frustrating news, but it is remarkable how well the engineering has gone in general, and how little delay there has been, given the complexity of the project.

A mechanical failure resulted in a large helium leak around midday Friday (yesterday) in sector 34. The mechanical failure is presumed due to a bad electrical connection between two magnets. The magnets carry high current, so if a part of the circuit loses superconductivity and develops resistance, it can quickly heat and blow.

CERN press release:

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR09.08E.html

The repair is expected to be quick (a few days at most.) What will take time, and will cause at least a two month delay, is that sector 34 will have to be warmed up first (to permit opening for repair) and then cooled down again---to restore superconductivity. It is the warming up and cooling down that takes time.

I would guess that collisions will be put off until next year---hopefully early in the year, perhaps right after the winter break.

This is sad and frustrating news, but it is remarkable how well the engineering has gone in general, and how little delay there has been, given the complexity of the project.

G'day, I'm pretty interested in the collider. Its just a high tech, high speed, head on collision to smash things and catalogue the bits. Kind of primative in that way, but smashes are pretty exciting.

I guess any valuable findings would be top secret.

In finding the knowledge we seek, I hope we apply it with subtlety that's becoming.

As we manipulate the fabric of space/time, creating mini black holes and completely unknown phenomena, particles that wouldn't normally exist, will we "modify" space for our convenience? (futuristically).

Anyway however we apply the knowledge it will offer great insight to the universe.

Here's the scientists involved on a documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fJ6PMfnz2E

Why do people keep referring to it as the God particle? >.<

It was once called that as a bit of a joke, and then a book was written where the editors decided against the better idea of the author to call the book "the good particle" and it just stuck...

I don't like the term personally.

they say it was a mechanical failure, but it's all a cover-up! go and check it - sector 34 disappeared completely after it was swallowed by a black hole shortly after first collision, now they need to make some replacements :)

Yes, and bigfoot survived and crawled out of the crater.:doh:

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on the progress at the LHC, from physicsworld...

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/36769

In the past week or so, seven of the LHC’s magnets (mostly 15m-long, 35 tonne “dipoles”) have been transported approximately 6 km through the 27 km LHC tunnel from the scene of the incident to a shaft on the main CERN site. From there, the magnets have been craned 50 m to the surface and taken to different locations for inspection. Some 50 magnets are expected to have to come to the surface in total, about 20 of which will not return, and the last one should be above ground before Christmas.
“The incident in September was a major blow for us,” LHC operations leader Roger Bailey told Physics World. “But things are moving fast now and we can see a way ahead.”

I went down to the university last week for a free showing of a film called "The Atom Smashers" in our physics department. There were two high energy particle physics professors taking questions after the film, and one mentioned that LHC probably wouldn't turn back on until March or April. We knew there would be bumps in the road, but it's too bad they hit such a large one so early (the folks at FermiLab are probably happy to have more time to try reaching the Higgs finish line first, though).