Time dilation

blazarwolf

1) What is the ratio/good way to think about time dilation in respect to acceleration? If im going 50% the speed of light am I Expirencing time at 50%

2) Similar to the above statement but in respect to gravitational time dilation?

3) Is there some kinda connection between the two (gravitational/acceleration) as to that my acceleration is increasing my mass, therefore increasing gravitational forces??

4) for the primary teachers out there, I need a quick refreser on acceleration, velocity, momentum. What is it that is so important to hiszinberg uncertinty? that is the property that describes both trajectory and speed?

1) it is not a constant ration, it is asymptotic to v=c

2) again asymptotic but to escape velocity =c this time.

3) no, relativistic mass is a bad concept as it makes you think about things the wrong way. you will not notice any mass increase when you are whizzing along at 0.9999c

4)heisenberg uncertainty only really applies on the quantum scale. it basically says that if you measure the position exactly then you will have no idea what the particles momentum is and if you measure the momentum exactly then you will have no idea WHERE it is.

1) What is the ratio/good way to think about time dilation in respect to acceleration? If im going 50% the speed of light am I Expirencing time at 50%

Well the actual math is [math]T = T_0 \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/math] where [math]T_0[/math] is the time that passes in the relative rest frame, T is the time the moving object experiences, and v is its velocity.

• 2 weeks later...

Time slows down as acceleration increases; especially upon approaching the speed of light.

This effect of time dilation on the amount of half the speed of light if cut to that 50% you would probably stay a moderate speed and not get so slow.

Maybe Check these out:

Gravity assist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gravitational slingshots offer a way to gain speed without using any fuel, ... dragged at the speed of light in the same direction as the black hole's spin. ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

How to Measure Gravitational Aberration?

light. Earth’s trajectory. Figure 3. The speed of gravitational interaction c .... find that the decrease of the Moon’s angular momentum is negligible with ...

journals.cambridge.org/production/action/cjoGetFulltext?fulltextid=1298008

I do not propose I know a bunch about this one. Just some interesting sites to check out.

I do not propose I know a bunch about this one. Just some interesting sites to check out.

Not sure where you're going with this. Gravitational time dilation isn't normally associated with escape velocity.

He's probably thinking about the gravitational time dilation equation:

[math]T = \frac{t_0} {\sqrt{1- \frac{2Gm}{rc^2}}}[/math]

which is what you get when you substitute the equation for escape velocity:

[math] \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}}[/math]

for "v" in the SR time dilation equation,