Extra Clicks From Mouse

herme3

The USB mouse included with my Dell Inspiron 530S has recently been adding extra clicks. For example, a lot of single-clicks will register as double-clicks. When I double-click, the mouse will sometimes click three times. Other times, the mouse will be working fine.

I don't believe this is a hardware issue because the mouse works fine when I boot into Linux. I tried adjusting the double-click speed in the Windows Vista Control Panel, but that didn't solve the problem. I also reinstalled the mouse driver, and ran Spyware and Anti-virus scans. I can't think of any running programs that could be causing this.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or know why the mouse keeps clicking extra times?

What model mouse is it? Have you tried a different mouse to see if the effect stays?

It's just a regular optical USB mouse that came with the computer. It looks like this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=310-9679

This is the only USB mouse I have, and the computer doesn't have a port for an older mouse.

Maybe something with the sensitivity settings is off.. try to decrease sensitivity to low, apply, then revert back?

I couldn't find any sensitivity settings. All I see in the Control Panel is the double-click speed and the pointer settings. I tried adjusting the double-click speed, but I'm still having the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

My mouse had the same problem, it's most likely a problem from the mouse hardware.

In my country (China), this problem is so common that someone actually wrote a software to fix it. But I assume you don't read Chinese, and wouldn't know how to use that software. There's most likely a program in English that does the same thing. Try searching for "double click fix".

The best recommendation is to have your mouse repaired, or get a new one.