internet explorer

chitrangda

whenever there is shift from secure mode to non secure mode internet explore on my computer shows up the message "this page cannot be displayed" due to which im not able to open any such web addresses like yahoo mail etc.

any one can guide me to what might have happened and how can i put internet explorer in right condition.

I believe there's a checkbox for that. Go to Internet Options (run IE, tap and release the ALT key and then pull down the Tools menu -- it's at the bottom), then go to the Advanced tab and check all the options there. One of them may be having an impact on your situation.

And if that doesn't work, you may look at the IEESC

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove windows components, scroll down and uncheck "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration." That jerk gets in the way of a lot of websites, if you still have the problem after turning this off, feel free to turn it back on.

You know, you may look at downloading Google Chrome, I downloaded it to test it out and see if it was crappy, but it runs a lot faster than IE and is way cooler.

oh. But if you want that to work, you may scroll through your internet security options, it'll be in with the rest of your options in the advanced tab... did you try rolling back to version 6 and see if you had the same problem?

or you could try this in command prompt

c:\computerwork/now/setonfire

Edited by Dudde
forgot to include command to computer

ha heres my smart computer its not downloading any thing,drivers have also stoped to work(it detects the cd and all the work on it but while opening the content it shows i/o error). I strongly feel that there is a very intelegent virus in my hard drive which my anti virus is not decting.

i tried all the solutions given by you dudde but nothings fruitfull in this case.

Yeah it kinda sounds like something underlying not havin' a good time there. I actually had a customer once with a lot of the same issues where he had to reinstall the OS in order to get it working again.

Any chance we could try to run a repair install from the OS CD? do you have the operating system disk?

Seriously, that's pretty sweet. Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking, trying to open files on the CD that way? Just hit F8 I think when the computer is booting, you'll get that lovely screen, choose safe mode with networking. Try the CD thing there, as well as running an antivirus if you have a good one installed.

Be sure to check your add/remove programs and services (right click 'my computer', manage, services and applications, services) to make sure there isn't anything suspicious looking -

If you're willing, try a repair install to recover any damaged or corrupt OS files

Repair Install by Microsoft

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Edited by Dudde
hilarity