Indigestion cure

DrP

I've been looking at indigestion tablets - they are very expensive. Most contain Kaolin, Magnesia etc.. Chalk dust being a major part. In some parts of the world, people actually eat dirt, clay and chalk to ease digerstion problems. Milk can help.

My question is: Couldn't one just eat a pinch of clean chalk dust to cure/ease indigestion, instead of paying £3.00 for a packet of Rennie?:confused:

Right you are - I wasn't thinking blackboard chalk anyway - just proper chalk dust, we buy the stuff in 25 kg bags along with Dolomite powder (magnesium calcium carbonate) and the stuff is quite pure. The MSDS's say there are no hazards for ingestion. I'm not sure I wan't to go eating the stuff really as there may be dirty contaminants and stuff - was just an idea. Perhaps small amouts of edible binder and some mint flavouring and it could be pressed into tablet form and sold for huge profits!!:D £3.00 a pack must be a huge mark up.

you could do this, yes.

btw, are you on about indigestion or Acid reflux here?

I thought Rennies etc.. were supposed to help with both?? I'm not sure.

all the carbonates will do is neutralise stomach acid (as you know), indigestion AFAIK isn`t a problem with acid, it`s more about getting the food Moving rather than just sitting there making you uncomfortable.

Simethicone or Dimethicone (anti foaming agents) are usually the best for this.

and yes you`re quite right, the huge bags of the carbonate are filthy cheap, giving you some idea of the mark-up charged for these tablets.

YT is right on, avoiding or getting rid of indigestion (acid reflux) is more about getting the food moving. Simply put; laying about after a meal = bad. Going for a short walk = good. Swallowing antacids or bags of chalk will neutralise acid, but it won't help digestion.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not believe "acid reflux "as a term be able to actually exist and/or as they state this term as the condition. I am going to have to fully disagree that be possible. The cells at the bottom of the stomach Parietal cells [epithelium cells] are needing to stay active therefor the stomachs main function is being permanently harmed by these drugs that are for "acid reflux" that are disabling this function.

Aloe juice I believe to be the best cure. The aloe allows the function to occur while the cells are soothed.

Acid reflux most certainly Does exist, even in Chronic conditions. in fact there is a corrective surgical procedure for this condition!

it`s something to do with a flap or a restrictor in the esophagus that prevent acid from leaving the stomach and traveling upwards, in some instances this flap/restrictor becomes weak and less effective at doing this and needs to be corrected.

so yes, it Does exist.

as for the Aloe, I think I`ll stick to H2 blockers and Proton inhibitors ;)

• 1 month later...
Acid reflux most certainly Does exist, even in Chronic conditions. in fact there is a corrective surgical procedure for this condition!

it`s something to do with a flap or a restrictor in the esophagus that prevent acid from leaving the stomach and traveling upwards, in some instances this flap/restrictor becomes weak and less effective at doing this and needs to be corrected.

Yep, I had what's known as a Hiatus Hernia, where the stomach rises through a hole in the diaphragm, causing acid reflux. I used to get it everyday, so they did an operation and sort of wrapped my stomach around the oesophegus to create a second sphincter, preventing the reflux.

Tablets and anti-acids didn't work much before that. It kept coming back...

Never tried chalk dust though... doesn't seem tasty does it?