A good candidate for medical school?

delco714

Ok, let me tell you about myself. I live in NY and go to college in NY. I intend on attending medical school 3 years from now. I am technically a Junior, credit-wise, however this is my second year as a college student. I brought to college 36 credits from College-High School programs ran by two popular universities in the state. In English I took 12 credits in (more than enough to satisfy what was needed), but I averaged I believe a B+ (however, i was awarded with a small scholarship in English in senior year, I was the only one, how ironic b/c I didn't do the best). For the most part my other credits were A's (maybe one or two A-). Now my first year of college (last year) I brought in 6 A+s, 3 A-s. My GPA is 3.85 currently. I decided at the end of last semester (Spring '08) to follow through Pre-Med and eventually try to get into med school. I am not a BIO major, I am a Psychology major, in which every class in psych is an A+, and I expect to graduate with a 4.0 (Highest Honors and member of Psi Chi (National Psych Honor Society)). I can't imagine getting any lower than A-s on all my sciences, in which now I am taking General Bio I, and Gen. Chem I, next semester will be Bio and Chem II. The year following will be a whole year of Organic chem and physics (I am not afraid of physics whatsoever, as I did exceptional in HS). I volunteered a a teaching hospital (Winthrop U. Med. Hospital) and am currently shadowing a neurologist who is in charge of Multiple Sclerosis health care for a major Health chain that is pronounced in most of NY state. My mother has MS and I want to be a neurologist. The DR i am shadowing has some neurologist friends at the school I want to attend, Stony Brook University Med School, and a NP who works with the DR teaches there in the nursing program. I plan to take the MCATs a year from this coming April/May, right after I finish physics and organic. I have no problem working on HW and everything for hours and working as hard as I can. I want this so bad. I still fear that I will apply to med schools with the most basic requirements (I have no time to take Calculus, but I got an A+ in precalc without attending class, so it's not a matter of being able to do "the math")>However I did get an A+ in Statistics. I will write on my applications that I am going to take biochem, genetics, advanced Anatomy and Physiology, and HOPEFULLY if i can find a neuroscience class, in my last year. I have the ability to write an amazing personal statement, and I can ace the interview, i believe. But, the scare is not even getting to get an interview. I am willing to go to almost any medical school, not just Stony Brook (though I'd like to stay in NY, but I don't have to). Is this going to be possible? Will I make my dream come true if I still to it? I should hopefully graduate with a 3.8-3.9GPA, and I took a practice MCAT in about an hour and a half in a cafe, while never taking college science (or CHEMISTRY AT ALL) and scored a 17. Why can't I get a 35 after studying and taking the courses, etc? I believe in me, but is that enough? I'm going to try and get into some lab research, but I'm trying everything. I'm even going to volunteer at Stony Brook Hospital, Dept. of Neurology in the winter. I have 2 recommendations from Psych professors already, I need to get from sciences. Hopefully the DR I'm shadowing will recommend me in a letter as well... So what are my chances? (PS, I would even go to DO school if need be!). Thanks for reading, I appreciate your time!

And not one empathic/sympathetic statement about how you care about medicine and helping people. Gee, I don't know. You're rhetoric and ability to use psychology in social situations seems incredibly lacking to me. I always aced my psychology classes. They were wayyy too easy, which is why I bumped myself to a neuroscience major.

Personally, I don't like talking about grades. I hate talking about grades. Other than that, you should get some volunteer work, such as being a firefighter. Makes yourself more appealing.

Or to say the least, you need more "ethos."

I mean, yeah, people can get into medical schools, but know what you want to do and WHY you want to do it.

Also, don't post long crap like that. Space it out into blocks.

"Even go to DO school" jerk!. I like to think its not all about that, its going to be how you present yourself and answer "why do you want to be a doctor". What specialty are you interested in? nuerology! are you sure thats what you want? is it your passion, could you see yourself in different one? for every 1000 people out ther smart enough to be a physician maybe only 1 should, it requires constant study, its not supposed to end in med-school or even residency. Your Alphabet soup looks pretty okay to me, focus on the interview.

Volunteer work?.. Like working as a volunteer of an ER of one of the more prestigous Hospitals in NY (not to mention teaching Hospitals).. and volunteering in the Deprtment of Neurology at the school i want to attend?.. and.. i have to work part-time.. but I'm sure i can crunch 36hrs into my 24hr day.

Does the fact that my mom has MS and me saying that have any weigh n the fact that I chose to become a DR.. that I want to help people just like her or worse.. and not only progressive MS patients, but one's with spasticity, and patients with Alzheimer's and other dementias, as well as parkinson's patients. and PS.. many people can walk into a Psych class and memorize Kohlberg's theory, or Garderner's theory.. it's what you take out and how you apply it that means something.. my original life goal was to be a Psychologist, mind you... PS#2.. Sephiroth is the boss-man.

And for Blazarwolf, you're right.. the DO thing was uncalled for.. many people look down on DO versus MD.. but i actually prefer the philosophy that DO schools claim.. (interpersonal therapy style.. working with the patient, etc...kinda like psychotherapy)... and yes.. I am the hardest worker I know.. I get yelled at by my Girl friend to stop working on Hw and studying.. I get told to "chill out" with my study habits by people all the time.. i have a keen ability to sit their and read and soak up info for hours at a time. My weekends consist of out of 48 hours, 30 are working on school.. usually bio and chem.. I want to learn them for their implications in medicine.. but if i was taking A&P right now, forget it.. i love it.. i'd sit their on my free time and read that stuff :). This is what I want, and I will do my all for it. Future patients deserve someone who worked that hard to be there.. and I intend on giving it to them.

Edited by delco714

I said.

for every 1000 people out ther smart enough to be a physician maybe only 1 should, it requires constant study, its not supposed to end in med-school or even residency. .

And you said

"many people can walk into a Psych class and memorize Kohlberg's theory, or Garderner's theory.. it's what you take out and how you apply it that means something"

To clarify what I mean... 1% of what you learn applys to 99% percent of your patients. The other 99% applys to the minority.

To a paramedic this is as simple as managing a beta-blocker overdose, or throwing your standing orders out the door while you manage a crush sydrome with prolonged extrication (risking your carrer). The story to paramedics is that of the emergency cesarian-section. It was a rural mid-west area, with hour+ transport time.... They were running a code on a late pregnate lady... They knew she was a gonner, but also knew they could save the kiddo... They even got on the phone with the doc, and got approval/instructions... they got that scapel from there OB or crich kit and went at it.... They saved the kiddos life. Both are no longer medics.

To a doc its something about why I hold DO in such regard... People in pain and suffering dont know whats going on... But they think and remember everything... all your tests may show its classical this or that. Then you hear something, from them in your interview.. It will be something vague... that you remember one of your proffesors saying a decade ago, you'll rip apart the hospitals library, your library, and search fruitlessly for hours... then you'll either find it and become an angel or learn something new.

Remember its not about your interest, its about the patients best interest.

Work hard and apply broadly. Don't overestimate yourself, but don't underestimate yourself either. Remember to have a life, too. Your activities will certainly be much more limited in medical school and you'll wish you had spent more time doing the things you love. Admissions committees are looking for people who have balanced a life and academics. And don't knock DOs -- same classes, same work, same rotations, same practice rights, same legal standard of practice. If it's not your thing it's not your thing, but no need to be disrespectful.

Good luck to you!

• 5 months later...
2 days... 47 views.. not one response?... PS. im also a subscriber to the New England Journal of Medicine, and a Journal of Neurology Called "Brain", published by Oxford U. Press.

I comment on you. That's nice that you collect many degrees from many places. But my question from you is what you do to the people? Any good work? Explain it.

If you get into a med school and my girlfriend doesn't, I'll know the world is really ****ed up.

You can't or express yourself or write worth a damn. Your pleas for help are a thinly veiled excuse to show off your stats (if they're even true).

Why don't you chill the **** out. You'll probably get an interview with those stats and, if somehow you fake a personality in the interview, you might convince some school you have some potential. But I know, just from reading this thread, I would never want you as a doctor.

Chill, Ecoli. If I would go asterisk every time such a student crosses my path I would have died from heart attack a while back. It appears to be worse with peeps that want to go to medical school though. I am working in different departments and we often get swamped by students who just want to take some lab courses to enhance their chances to get into med school. As the US system is incredibly focuses on marks and exam results, I have to listen every time to their GPA, how everyone topped their class (wonder how that is possible) and so on.

I just mentally skip that and ask them to write a research proposal. That culls over 90% of the candidates.

I'll be applying to medical school in the UK this year, and it's pretty much the same. Even though Medicine is something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember; not just because 'I want to help people' or because I'm concerned with the money and status that doctors have, but because I genuinely have a fascination with the human body and a real interest in people; I feel as though I'm checking boxes to get in. Work experience, check. Grades, check. Selection exams, check. Interview, check.

It feels to me as though for many people are just using work experience and A-levels as a means to an end, and not actually enjoying it. I've volunteered in a hospice for nearly six months, and it's been so interesting and rewarding. Plus, I genuinely enjoy my schoolwork (currently doing AS-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and German). I just feel as though I may not get a place at medical school, despite how much I want it, because I have no medical connections (i.e. no one in my immediate family is a doctor, or works in a medical setting), and I'm hoping that this won't be a hinderance.

CharonY, I don't know what it's like in the US, but in England it's so hard to get any work experience in a hospital that to get any medical work experience, a lab is often the only viable place. I know what you mean about the amount of people who aren't serious about applying for medicine! I just hope that our varying attitudes will come across in the interview!

Chill, Ecoli. If I would go asterisk every time such a student crosses my path I would have died from heart attack a while back. It appears to be worse with peeps that want to go to medical school though. I am working in different departments and we often get swamped by students who just want to take some lab courses to enhance their chances to get into med school. As the US system is incredibly focuses on marks and exam results, I have to listen every time to their GPA, how everyone topped their class (wonder how that is possible) and so on.

I just mentally skip that and ask them to write a research proposal. That culls over 90% of the candidates.

nice... sorry man. It's just that I'm going through the process myself now (Md/Phd tho) and it pisses me off how kids like this (who can barely communicate intelligently) probably have a good shot while I'm struggling because I tried actually to challenge myself in school (and ok I could've done better on the mcats but i only got 3 hours of sleep that night).

Well I'm sort of ambivilent about med school at this point, but my girlfriend who's going to applying next year would make an amazing doctor, but has been getting screwed in class after class with grades (maybe she doesn't test well, idk). Anyway, I'm just a little nervous about her prospects because of overachieving, but substantatively empty students like the OPer (not that there aren't plenty of qualified and deserving candidates out there).

Oh, I have no problems taking the odd student in (as far as my time allows, of course). But what really pisses me off is when some guys who were good in class feel that they are entitled to do it. One of them even almost demanded it.

But at this very point I actually have one student here that wants to go into medical. He was one of the few who actually read the papers I gave him and bothered to write something up. Well, actually four wrote something, but he was the only one that didn't copy/paste wikipedia to me and/or actually tried to write something that even I could recognize as English. The rest of the students I am taking care of right now are actually all Chemistry students trying to get some lab-time. All of the latter actually returned something, mostly in decent English. Probably because they are from India.

But to get back to the topic, in Uni (med school entry is probably an extreme example, at least at undergrad levels) good marks do not entitle anyone to anything. Even hard work does not guarantee anything. It is as far removed from anything resembling instant gratification as it could be.