Is it better to be in charge or stay neutral..?

Catharsis

HI...

Now, I know ions are particles that carry a charge - then there are particles that are neutral (no?).

So my question is: :cool: is there something extremely “more” monumental about ions then there is about neutral particles? :cool: Or are they both basically on the same playing field?

Example: are ions the “particles” that are responsible for getting particles to move around? And are ions the only ones able to bond with other particles?

Any suggestions, comments and opinions are appreciated...

Thank you in advance...

Your question is a little bit confusing, you are asking for the difference between ions and neutral particles?

Ions are charged atoms, either slightly more positive or negative than their origional atom. This is achieved by the gain and loss of electrons. Loss of electrons = more positive, gain of electrons = more negative.

Each atom has its own tendancies to gain or lose electrons. Generally, atoms farther left on the periodic table lose them and atoms on the right gain them.

An ion is more stable than the atom itself. Each atom is constantly trying to become an ion so that it can have full electron energy levels.

As far as ions moving around, do you mean like electricity? Could you clarify?

When two atoms bind together they become much more stable. Ions are formed when the atoms combine. An 'ion' though, is just one part of the compound with its charge separate from the other part of the compound, usually in a solvent like water. For example, NaCl, when dissolved in water, has its structure pulled apart by the water molecules. Na+ and Cl- are then floating around in the solution.

Well - I just wasn’t to sure if Ions had a clear “distinction” to the service they provide. Kinda like Carbon (from what I understand): Carbon’s distinct service is to form a backbone for all other atoms to attach too (no?). Not to say that carbon can’t be used in other way’s - but to me, I would say that’s it’s hallmark, seems to be a type of backbone, for all else...

So, with that in mind - I didn’t know if “only” ions and their greater propensity to bond were the ones behind motion “in with” atoms?

What do I mean by motion? Well - I’m under the impression that, like for instance, water helps act as a “transport” (a catalysis) moving things around in the body (no?). Also like pH balance when something “dissolves” (isn’t that a kind of motion?)...

So in closing; would that all be possible if it weren’t for ions? (I mean, I guess the answer would be no) - so could it be said that the “hallmark” of ions is to create the activity found “in with“ atoms.... Meaning, compared to other particles.

In another way: if someone were to ask me what is the major difference between an Ion and a particle (the main functional difference) - could I say (outside of saying one carries a charge and the other doesn't) that without Ions we really wouldn’t have the “motion” of atoms....

Ions tend to be involved in bonding with salts (NaCl for example is Na+ and Cl-). This type of bonding is referred to as ionic bonding. It is involved where one atom gives up an electron to another atom. The two ions then stick together due to electrostatic attraction.

With other molecules (such as water), the bonding is covalent. In this type of bonding, the atoms share electrons. There are no ions involved.

Ionic compounds tend to be soluble in water, but other things are also soluble in water. Sugar, for example,dissolves in water, but isn't an ion.

So, in the end, ions are just...rather boring I guess. They don't really have any hallmark beyond their charge. Ionic compounds share certain characteristics (hard, brittle, generally water soluble, high melting points, solutions will conduct electricity, etc.), and these characteristics are derived from the fact that they are made of ions, but that's as far as I would go in talking about the "hallmarks" of ions.

Wow, thanks - you learn something everyday....

Boy, did I have things backwards....

So while I have your attention, let me ask - are buffers strictly for ions or are they used with other particles?

Comments, suggestions and opinions are appreciated

Thank you in advance....

Edited by Catharsis

Buffers are for acids and bases. Acids and bases generally involve ions (Arrhenius and Bronsted-Lowry acids/bases do, at least), so they do in a way.

A buffer is a solution that is resistant to change in pH. It does this by having a base and an acid in solution that won't react with each other. Something along the lines of sodium acetate and acetic acid. If an acid is added to a buffer, some base is consumed, bringing the pH back to normal. and vice versa.