What is this pic?

DrP

What is the equipment in this picture? If we get it right I could win 12 bottles of wine! :)

[ATTACH]1913[/ATTACH]

All answer/suggestions welcome - even if wrong - most amusing reply gets a mystry prize. :D

it looks like a very old manual washing machine... it's not an archaic centrifuge, is it?

hmm... as IA said, it has a handle that looks like it powers some kind of drum. it also has a dial for measuring... temperature? pressure? rotary speed? is the round black thing a vent of some kind?

I think it might be an old field telephone, like used in WWI. The handle on the left is the thin that will power the phone. The rest isn't really visible.

you can estimate its size by the two screws (I think they're screws) close to the corner of the device.

http://www.myinsulators.com/commokid/telephones/ww2_phones.htm - other examples (pictures!)

Hope we're right so you can win.

Its a combination telephone and coffee grinder, grind your coffee while talking on the phone. Seriously, it does look like a telephone with a spring loaded generator but it bothers me that there is no ear piece, plus I cant imagine what the white button is for except to lock the handle into place. If the handle points down I would say its a telephone, if not it looks like a grinder or juicer to me.

Thanks people - I thought it might be some sort of grinder/filter at first. I went with the telephone in the end. I'll let you know what it is when I find out and I'll let you know if I win :D.

This is the second week running that their company have done this little comp (last weeks was clearly an old microscope but I didn't enter) - I might post next weeks up next Friday if anyone is interested.

Thanks people - I thought it might be some sort of grinder/filter at first.
I don't think it's a grinder. The cranks on most of the old grinders were on top:

box-grinder.jpg

Plus, it looks like there is a recess for the handle part of the crank, suggesting it might be a portable instrument (no need to recess the handle if it's not traveling). My 6th grade science teacher had an old hand-crank generator to show how your muscles contract when electricity is passed through your body. He made the guys in the class look pretty wimpy, not being able to do a simple thing like let go of the leads. This box looks similar.

I'll bet there's something just to the right of the picture that would give it away if we could see it.

What is the equipment in this picture? If we get it right I could win 12 bottles of wine! :)

[ATTACH]1913[/ATTACH]

All answer/suggestions welcome - even if wrong - most amusing reply gets a mystry prize. :D

An old, hand-cranked emergency radio? I see a speaker, and a button that could be for morse code.

• 2 weeks later...

I swear I've seen this before somewhere. The back of my mind is telling me it's a heat seamer for joining two pieces of material, like carpet. The front of my mind is laughing at the back and insisting that those aren't electrical leads, but are more for mounting the device to something else.

First of all you spelled mystery wrong :eyebrow:

and i believe that the picture is of a electrocution device used for treating crazies!!!

I think that mystry(also known as "mystery") prize shall be mine

:D

lol! :D Must have been a typo- :embarass: I'll put the answer to the powers that be and see if you win me my myserly prize.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, no fair! What was the last device?

This one is obviously Sarah Palin's mock up of an ICBM launch button, the one she's been practicing with in her garage. Did you see how skinned up her knuckles were in the debate last night? :D :D :D

[ATTACH]1913[/ATTACH]

It looks like an old telephone.

Hey, no fair! What was the last device?

She hasn't let me know yet, she just said it was so easy that loads of people got it (??:confused:??) - but I will update you when I find out. I put your suggestion to her - you never know, we might get the mystery prize.:D

It looks like an old telephone.

The first one was a conductivity meter.