The Flat Earth Society!

mooeypoo

I noticed that the site is receiving quite a lot of traffic for the past few days from a site called theflatearthsociety.org ... apparently, they do still exist (isn't that cute?) and they're discussing my "the earth is not flat" post!

Check it out here: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=23120.msg480940

Check out their reasoning, too.. I was curious to see if I should, perhaps, correct myself or be more specific, but apparently their problems with what they call the "REers" ("Round Earthers"?) is not about the logic.

Go figure.

• 4 months later...

From the looks of that link, it seems that most of the flat earthers don't believe that the earth is flat, but are being devil's advocate for fun. It is a good logical exercise, to see whether the evidence can be explained while maintaining that the earth is flat.

Most of them don't believe in Flat Earth (FE), but it also looks like a lot of them really enjoy just confounding people that don't realize how easy it is to counter argue - even against something as obvious as the fact that the Earth is round.

It's not always through "high brow debating tactics" and honestly, my favorite thread I've ever read there was on plate tectonics, but devolved into "Dinosaurs could have built boats" where, I am pretty sure the debate ended when the proponent of "fossil records prove Pangaea" had to excuse himself to prevent an aneurism.

The few threads that really challenge "Flat Earth Theory" in a simple, hard to "wiggle out of" way tend to get a little attention at first due to misconception by "FEers" and, then quickly die without any posts to challenge the "Round Earth" arguments.

• 1 month later...
i figured out how to destroy them, sign up, become a mod, then say you went into space and saw the earth round :P

how little you know about this kind of person. you could take them up into space themselves and show them and they would still not accept the earth was round.

• 8 months later...

while some of them are merely practicing debate skills, there is a core of people who really do still believe the earth is flat. there are also those who believe the earth is hollw and there is a giant 1000km wide hole at the north pole to the center that people have somehow missed all these years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can almost understand believing the earth was flat by crazy theories alone... but shouldn't it have ended when we actually got into space and took pictures of earth... you can debate forever on theories because of the void of absolute evidence (in a way) but once we got into space and saw it, seems like the game would end right about there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Incidentally, your number 9 is not a good argument, since the Earth could be an infinite plane, so the force would be downwards everywhere, not directed towards the centre (there would be no centre).

But if it would be infinite, you wouldn't be seeing an edge. We do see an edge (and quite close to us, relatively, in the form of the horizon) and so either the Earth has a limited size or it's curved...

But if it would be infinite, you wouldn't be seeing an edge. We do see an edge (and quite close to us, relatively, in the form of the horizon) and so either the Earth has a limited size or it's curved...

I'm fairly certain that, given that the horizon is only 30 miles away or so, most flat earthers have a different explanation for horizons than "that's where the Earth ends."

I'm fairly certain that, given that the horizon is only 30 miles away or so, most flat earthers have a different explanation for horizons than "that's where the Earth ends."

I'll be happy to hear it and examine it.

As it turns out, *most* of the known flat-earth "hypothesis" claims that the Earth is a flat disk. With an end to it. Why does the horizon look like it's around 30 miles away? .... uhhhhhhhhh...... becauseeee...we........ uhhh... need glasses...?

As it turns out, *most* of the known flat-earth "hypothesis" claims that the Earth is a flat disk. With an end to it.

Why does the horizon look like it's around 30 miles away? .... uhhhhhhhhh...... becauseeee...we........ uhhh... need glasses...?

There's also the option of a not-so-flat plane, with a what-do-ya-call-it, spherical cap type shape.

But they also have very strange ideas about light: 'bendy light' as they call it. If light travelled really slowly and was affected by gravity (or an upwardly mobile earth) in a much greater sense than it actually is - so more like a bullet than a photon - then once 'shot' from far away at a reasonable height it'd eventually hit the ground.

We see an edge... but that observation is caused by mass hallucination.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.