Is Anorexia really a psychiatric illness? [Answered: YES]

I've been suffering from anorexia for a few years now (Im trying to recover, but keep relapsing =/ arghh), and whilst I was doing a welsh project on the subject last year, I read about my eating disorder on wikipedia. On there it says that anorexia is a psychiatrict illness.

I don't understand this.

I know that I have that little voice in my heads telling them me I'm fat, but is that just what I want to believe? or a psychiatrict illness?

I'm really confused.

- No harsh comments please. Keep in mind that I'm 15.

That particular perception is also strongly related to something called "body dismorphic disorder." It's worth learning about, as many people experience it in different forms (it's not really an on/off label, but instead a spectrum from "a little bit effected" to "oh my god I'm hideous!!")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dismorphic_disorder

AFAIK, anorexia is more the behavioral response to symptoms of BDD, itself very unhealthy and dangerous.

Its funny for me.. I was anorexic recently for completely different reasons, but have overcome it (I think). My mom always said I was depressed for as long as I can remember, I always rebutted saying I was just sad due to my circumstances. Things went up and down for awhile, but eventually they cought up with me, and I entered for 6 months what many would describe as "severe life altering depression". It would take awhile to describe what it was, who I am, and how I fixed it, but I guess I am very lucky becuase it does feel behind me. The anorexia stoped when I changed my mindset and wanted to be happy. It took awhile to force my self to eat, and my body to adjust, but it happend. The most important thing I can state is how much clearer and less depressed I felt when I had food energy inside me. The brian does funny things when it is deprived of energy, mainly feeling more sad and well... wierd. And yes it is a psychological illness becuase it is in your head (cranberrys song!) there is nothing that is wrong with your body, (everyones different, as I have just stated I am a male and became anorexic becuase of depression) except your perception of it. I hope you feel better, try to find a good freind you can talk about it with (if you think that will help).

^ yes, especially if you keep relapsing

irreguardless of wether it's a 'psychiatric illness' or not, you'll get some useful help in controlling your anorexia by seeing a doctor/psychiatrist/counsellor.

So, yeah, i'd advise you to go see a GP.

• 4 weeks later...

christiannnna (Quark)

Yes-this is serious-you could die from this affliction--I don't know if there is cultural differences (I'm in the USA) but here -anorexia nervousa and BDD are quite serious.

Here in the states most of those afflicted with anorexia are teenaged, white, middle class females who find that eating little or nothing is a way of trying to control their lives (although anorexia can be found in most demographics).

Is there some sort of support group in Wales for anorexics? Call your public health office--they should be able to refer you to someone or some group. Call today this is very important!

Will you let me know that when you have contacted help? Thanks --Carol

I know very little about it - but I would think that realising that you are going through this is a good first step. Some people keep themselves in denial about such things. You have realised you have a problem and want to do something about it. That has to be a good start. Go to the doctor and see what he says.

Im relapsing too... its mainly continued depression and alchohol influenced... i often go a couple days before i even get hungry (i get calories from the beer and tea).. Dont be discourged by what people will tell you, you can learn everything a psychiatrist knows. Its the cognitive behavioral techniques that a psychologist has been trained in that may be benificial... i still dont trust em though, there money grubbing feel gooders.

The anorexia affect works by a process called projection. Picture a projector mounted on a hat, you are wearing, that is shining a red light. What your eyes will see is the reality of the environment plus the red overlay. If you didn't know you had this projector on your head you will swear the world has a red cast to it.

Projection, in a psychological sense, comes from the imagination. You can't see this projector, directly, yet it is still overlaying the reality you see. Some girls will look in the mirror at their bodies and see fat, when the reality data entering the eyes is thin. This projection overlay from the imagination makes it hard to take other peoples word for it, because you see and feel what you see and feel. This filter or projector may have been placed there due to social reasons created by the pressure placed on females to look good. There are treatments designed make you aware of this overlap affect so you can filter it out, within your mind.

Projection is not pathological but is part of normal behavior. Marketing helps to set up this projector all the time. This gives the new toy an alluring quality. Once we get bored with the new toy, this means the projector runs of out steam, and we see reality again. With this projector, people spend lots of money, even for pet rocks, that can appear to come alive or give the owner a special aura. This called normal because it is sort of innocuous.

Some girls get a projector installed, with too much overlay and too long of a duration. This is sort of a toxic affect, similar to mercury discharge from the marketing process. There are no mind pollution laws set up. What may be safe and fun for most can hurt others. This pollution is remediated by a wide range of good and services who can help uninstall the projector.

Well its not all nonsense... there is such a thing as self-projection in psychology... But yeh, you loaded it with metaphores as if your trying to teach a retard. Instead you look the one without understanding, tons of fallacys and overrepresentations atleast, in other words.... bullshit. Psychology is a real illusive science, you have to speak of things softly.

Psychology is a real illusive science, you have to speak of things softly.

A word of caution. Psychology IS science. It is a world of experiment, hypotheses, tests, and conclusions... huge populations sizes and technology exploring the functioning brain... it simply lacks some of the hard formulae and basic mechanics of other sciences since it is the human mind being studied, not simplistic billiard balls or spherical cows. What is "illusive" and "soft" tends not to be the science of psychology itself, but instead peoples representation of it, as clearly evidenced by the posts of Pioneer who so frequently asserts his conjectures and speculations as if they were accepted facts and mainstream understandings.

I used to try combatting Pioneer point by point on his speculations on this forum and on others, until one day I realized that his is a rabbit hole which is never sealed, a hole which I decided no longer to venture down until he presents some solid evidence in support of his positions. The most unfortunate thing is that he is so frequently corrected by those who HAVE studied these topics, who HAVE devoted years of study and effort, yet he frequently repeats his same previous false assertions over and over again as if said correction never took place.

Pioneer was not speaking as a psychologist above, and I wanted to make that abundantly clear. There may some interesting ideas in his posts, but the premises themselves were mostly false, unrelated to the topic under discussion, and hence the vast majority of his conclusions were false as well (any that were correct were so only by accident).

Edited by iNow

Its so complex that its not well understood. Regardless of your own opinion... taking what you will learn as a illusively generated and applying it softly is the correct way. To simply sum up this point: Theory is generated from inadaquete scans of the brain, no brain blood samples, patient interview, and statistical analaysis of varying opinions w/ different knowledge basis... its in its dark ages today, mostly a science of effect, not cuase...

Take myself for example: 10 years ago i was diagnosed with social anxiety and ADD. The second time i took my adderol i had a very bad reaction... a form of depressive psychosis (in the corner crying, wanting to kill myself)... nowdays i know i have a predominatly nurtured form of azbergers syndrome. I dont have to mention ECT or lobotomy. What about the kids scribed Anti-depressents that end up killing themselfs.... as a said: its in its dark ages. Unless you want to support the church emmoliating heretics, i suggest you be more humble...

Aswell as there may be some psychology behind you refutiating me on a basic, almost accepted point of view.......

ooops! it dawned on me, sry i havent been writing much the last 3 years, just verbal argument. there is a big difference between illusive and elusive, the latter is what i meant.

• 2 months later...

Anorexia is an Eating Disorder. It can be a Psychiatric problem, because Depression can also cause an Eating Disorder which may result in to Anorexia.

=========================================================

Rene52

Find the latest news and discuss the latest topics with members of the Bulimia and Eating Disorders Community.

Bulimia News and Discussion Forum

• 4 weeks later...
I've been suffering from anorexia for a few years now (Im trying to recover, but keep relapsing =/ arghh), and whilst I was doing a welsh project on the subject last year, I read about my eating disorder on wikipedia. On there it says that anorexia is a psychiatrict illness.

I don't understand this.

I know that I have that little voice in my heads telling them me I'm fat, but is that just what I want to believe? or a psychiatrict illness?

I'm really confused.

- No harsh comments please. Keep in mind that I'm 15.

I am no doctor, just a mother... but knew someone like you. Did a tramatic experience ever happen to you. Usually its underlying..... the weight nighmare is just a way to hurt yourself. Find out what is really barthering you... god bless you and take care of your self. Some people use drug or drink ....yours just may be food or a box of cookies. really take care.

Pioneer - No, that's all nonsense.

Readers - Please ignore Pioneer. He is making this stuff up, and the information he shares should not be considered valid or accurate.

He was talking in metaphor, and what he said sounds accurate. People's perceptions of something often override the objective reality.

Thanks, visceral, but I've been reading Pioneers posts now for several years, on this site and others. I know exactly what his post was.

Sorry, I don't understand....I thought he was just using metaphor to make it easier to get his point across...?

Using metaphor is imprecise. You will interpret it differently than I will interpret it, and I will interpret it differently than some other person will interpret it. It's a poor method of communication where science is concerned.

Also, I've found that his posts often rest on incredibly false premises as a general rule, and have little value toward reality and understanding (you don't understand something if the analogy is wrong, nor if the opening premises are fallacious). I don't want this to turn into a thread bashing a member, though. My initial response was based on my past experiences with that particular member, and I can appreciate how that may not have been clear to users who are newer to the community, so I apologize for that. :)

I've always found Pioneer's ramblings enjoyable. iNow is right on about him, which is why I don't take his posts very seriously, yet I always read them and take something from it. He's oddly intelligent though and looks at things entirely differently, which has a potential for accidental genius that I doubt he would recognize, but maybe we can.

And the fact that he posts like there's no one else in the world talking to him just fits the image. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Using metaphor is imprecise. You will interpret it differently than I will interpret it, and I will interpret it differently than some other person will interpret it. It's a poor method of communication where science is concerned.

I don't think using metaphor is imprecise. It can actually make things easier to understand, whereas explaining the exact science behind something can often go in one ear and out the other.

A "rabbit hole" is a "metaphor" actually; and an appropriate one, including, but not limited to when it is used to describe a portal into a different or a strange world.....which probably includes blogs/forums on the internet.

:)

Edited by DrDNA