Common analogies that are completely wrong

bascule

"To be fair, if you're going to do things like wear funny pants, hunt foxes and say, "Tally ho!", then you should be prepared to have that image used against you. "

You rather seem to have missed the fact that we don't.

In fact, it's illegal (well the fox hunting bit's banned, if we banned "funny pants" the American tourists would be turned back at the borders.)

BTW you really need to learn that pants is not a synonym of trousers, and a large fraction of the UK population are puzzled that the US has not only concluded it needs a government-run Fanny, but is prepared to talk about it in public ;-)

Anyway, to get back to the topic- who's teeth are set on edge every time someone refers to a "quantum jump"?

I think of the British as using phrases like "mate", "blimey", and "piss off" a lot... not sure how accurate that is.

Not sure what the canonical Americanisms are, but "cool", "y'all", and "sweet" get used to an excessive degree, depending on the person.

I think of the British as using phrases like "mate", "blimey", and "piss off" a lot... not sure how accurate that is.

"Mate" and "piss-off" are said quite a lot, but "blimey" went out with the war. Also, "mate" is very regional - they only say that in certain areas. Where I come from it would be "pal".

"Mate" and "piss-off" are said quite a lot, but "blimey" went out with the war. Also, "mate" is very regional - they only say that in certain areas. Where I come from it would be "pal".

Down here in the south we still use Blimey and Crikey alot - although alot of my mates use far stronger language.

In my region in the US, we use "pal" or "buddy" for complete strangers we really want to throttle, but can't because there are too many witnesses. "Hey pal, the line's moved," is what you say to the guy who is too busy talking to notice the queue has a 20-foot gap in front of him. "Excuse me, buddy," is what you say to the guy who has chosen to hold a conversation right in front of the main entrance, blocking everyone else from coming in to the building.

For strangers who've given no offense, we use "man", "dude" and "guy". Not many terms for women like that. If I was talking to a strange woman in public I would say, "Hey lady," if she was at least 30 or had kids with her. I really don't use a generic term for women under 30.

Your "mate" is your spouse in the US. I wonder if you use "mate" in the UK because of your naval history?

In my region in the US, we use "pal" or "buddy" for complete strangers we really want to throttle, but can't because there are too many witnesses. "Hey pal, the line's moved," is what you say to the guy who is too busy talking to notice the queue has a 20-foot gap in front of him. "Excuse me, buddy," is what you say to the guy who has chosen to hold a conversation right in front of the main entrance, blocking everyone else from coming in to the building.

We can use mate to mean the same as you use buddy or pal as well. It depends what contex you use it in and how much inflection you put into it. It can also be your best friend - "he's my best mate" . Or, it can indeed mean your spouse.

Your "mate" is your spouse in the US. I wonder if you use "mate" in the UK because of your naval history?

OK Pal! The gloves will be coming off for that one! :D

Our language does indeed differ slightly - some phrases you use all the time in the US mean completely different things over here - I mean Phi, as a non-smoker, you would never bum a fag in the UK. ;)

Our language does indeed differ slightly - some phrases you use all the time in the US mean completely different things over here - I mean Phi, as a non-smoker, you would never bum a fag in the UK. ;)

I once got into trouble in the US for using the phrase "smoke a fag" (iirc I was suggesting it as a method of stress relief).

OK Pal! The gloves will be coming off for that one! :D
I'm serious! I had no entendre in mind with the question.

I just thought that "mates" on a ship might have become common usage for "fast friends" from a nation with such a long and colorful naval history. Or is that just a common analogy that's completely wrong?

So what do you call footwear designed to make you look taller, "lifts" or "elevator shoes"?

I once got into trouble in the US for using the phrase "smoke a fag" (iirc I was suggesting it as a method of stress relief).
You've just helped me with a tricky part of my screenplay. I needed a way for Colin Firth's character to avoid getting beaten up while in prison. So now I'll just have the leader of the cell block ask Colin what he does to relieve stress.... :D

I'm serious! I had no entendre in mind with the question.

I just thought that "mates" on a ship might have become common usage for "fast friends" from a nation with such a long and colorful naval history. Or is that just a common analogy that's completely wrong?

Your probably right. I don't know

http://www.yourdictionary.com/mate

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=mate

So what do you call footwear designed to make you look taller, "lifts" or "elevator shoes"?

Platforms, heels or high heels I suppose.