Physician's Assistant

amanda88

So I am starting my 3rd year of college, but I am only going part time, as I work full time. I am 20 years old. I have struggled long and hard about what I want to get my degree in, "what I want to be when I grow up," etc. I have always been interested in the health care profession (my mom was a paramedic), and I am currently getting my EMT.

From here I need some help with where to go. I have thought strongly about becoming a PA, but I need some help with what will be the best way?

1. Should I finish my EMT, and work as such while I get a BA/BS in something else, (currently I am a family studies major). more/higher education

2. Or should I continue with my EMT, further to get my medic liscense, and then go to PA school. more medical experience

I realize that getting into a PA school is difficult, and that it takes some dediation, so I dont forsee going to such for at least 5 years. But it is in the mean time that I am not sure about. I dont care if you are a PA already, just getting into the program, or just have some good info for me, please let me know what you think.. Thanks!

I'm not sure what all the requirements are to get into PA school, but those I do know who have entered it, generally had a BS degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochem or the like. My understanding is that it was similar to a master's program (took 2 years IIRC).

I would contact schools that you are interested in.

Here's a link to help you track down schools near you so you can check out what there requirements are.

http://www.gradschools.com/Subject/Physician-Assistant/315.html

• 2 weeks later...

If you are really interested in street medicine and/or want to be a PA for the extened scope of practice it may afford you, paramedic may not be a bad thing. Just be prepared for stressfull situations, lots bullshit, very ugly situations, a sore back, no praise and not being understood even by fellow medical proffesionals. Oh and I forgot... falling asleep in wierd places.