Unhealthy habits?

Gilded

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The term Believe means sometimes when I use the term to me the same as if I had stated "I trust" and "I trust" would always mean to me the same as "I follow" or "I support this and that based on a certain scientific basis" that I have read from the extensive sciences about somewhere on the Internet. [Readings and report findings that I don't quite have time to post about sources right now. Or else nothing would ever get posted since pressed for time here. But I of course will certainly post most of the time] So I am not a blind faith follower [or even with a religion at all for that matter]. Hence there were not belief statements being stated alone with prior evidence of scientific data having been studied hard, assimilated and then basing the decision somehow. Didn't mean to seem misleading. Thanks. :rolleyes:

nebulalord

It disturbs me when someone prefaces his statements with "I believe" as though it were some kind of blind religious faith.

This is the science forum, and most of us respect objective and empirical evidence as a source of belief. Much better for you to show that a belief you have is backed up by data.

For example, you 'believe' that exercise is not good for weight loss. In fact, in this you are correct, since there is a lot of experimental data showing that moderate exercise stimulates the appetite, and the overall result is more fitness and greater health, but no net weight loss. More extreme exercise, however, causes weight loss (such as a marathon runner's schedule), and these guys have a real problem simply eating enough to maintain weight.

On the other hand, there is no scientific evidence to support your belief that gentle exercise is better for weight loss. In this forum, I think most of us prefer good evidence, rather than an 'I believe' statement.

nebulalord

It disturbs me when someone prefaces his statements with "I believe" as though it were some kind of blind religious faith.

This is the science forum, and most of us respect objective and empirical evidence as a source of belief. Much better for you to show that a belief you have is backed up by data.

Personally, I think its better when a sentence starts with "I believe" than the absence thereof when it is an opinion. Something like "I believe food is healthier when..." is much better than "Food is healthier when..." but I do think you are correct in that it is not always topical to simply post one's beliefs on a matter, and it doesn't give much to work with.

My bad health habits:

Smoke about a pack a day.

Drink to excess in moderation, no more than 3 times a week (well, there are exceptions)

Not really into drinking in moderation though, bit of a time sink.

I hate fast food but do it when cash is low.

Not that big on rec drugs, find the hangover too long.

Should exercise, but don't and I can usually make it up a mountain better than my gym going friends, so it doesn't worry me too much.

Dropped sugar somehow, I used to fiend but just stopped.

Caffeine is probably out of control, got a $400 coffee tab to take care of... 1-2x 16oz coffees with at least 2 shots of espresso per day, shower shock soap, used to hit the mints a lot.

• 6 months later...

hello..................all

There are not too many of us who haven’t at some stage of our lives had some unhealthy or bad habits of some description.

Probably the most common and one that can severely impact on our health is, of course, smoking. I am not going to delve, at this stage, into other unhealthy-habits that should be avoided - perhaps that will come later..............thanks

I don't smoke or do drugs.

I drink in moderation, but a little too much at special occasions. It doesn't take that much for me to count an occasion as special :D

I don't get enough exercise - I walk home from work three days a week, about 35 minutes at a brisk pace. That's the only exercise I ever get.

I don't eat too unhealthily most of the time. I'm vegetarian, but I guess I eat too much cheese, and I do have a weakness for nachos and sour cream.

My worst habit is the amount of time I spend playing video games. I clock about 2-3 hours an evening and maybe 10-12 hours over the weekend. My eyesight is buggered and the joints of my hands and arms are shot. :embarass:

• 5 months later...
My sister was a vegetarian growing up, and as I was the main cook of the family, I'll have to admit that it took some time for me to stretch my creativity to learn to cook food well for a veggie person!

My new bad habit is Oblivion, on xbox 360

Damn you...I love that game..

It'll be the death of me :D