Glycolytic Pathway

wendy0027

Hi,

I'm in a master's program in Biochemistry, and been out of school for a while, however when I was an undergraduate had the same dilema. Could anyone explain or refer me to a resource about the glycolytic pathway. I'm googled many of them however, doesn't state how you actually get from one to the other, just gives a flow, how about how does it occur, where did the electrons go, and how did glucose 6 phosphate go to a 5 ring structure? What happened? Is is sig far as knowing going from a ketone to a ketose? Please help.

The best you could do is check the whole pathway in a standard textbook. But i am kind of surprised that you did not find good internet sources.

Regarding your specific questions:

how does it occur?

- the specific reactions are catalysed by enzymes, as usually indicated in most depictions of the pathway (mind you, they are mostly depictions of a "standard" pathway, a number of microorganisms have modifications in that pathway)

-where did the electrons go?

check out the role of NAD+

-how did glucose 6 phosphate go to a 5 ring structure?

glucose-6P is converted into fructose-6P, check out their structures (the empirical formulas are precisely the same, the reaction is just an isomerization)

I will move this to the homework section. Your answers are more likely answered there.

Or you can just grab a A'level Biology text book where the whole pathway is given in quite detail and in easy context. It aslo goes on to kreb cycle and oxidative phosphorylation.

Dunno if that would give you all the enzymes though and might not even mention the pentose-phosphate pathways, I would think an undergrad biochemistry text book would be better.