sodium bicarbonate

scotchlady

I would like to run this one by everyone here. I like using baking soda as a cleaner; it really works pretty darn well as an abrasive for scrubbing. The other day, I bought some new baking soda becaue we were running low and it was on sale. I noticed that on the new packages of Arm & Hammer they are recommending that you throw it out after 30 days...there is the calendar listed and that is all. On the old package of Arm and Hammer it says on the side of the package to throw it out after 3 months, if in the refrigerator. I personally think what it says on the new package is load of merde and simply marketing's way of trying to convince you that you need to buy more of their product.

So the question is this then...how long can one expect baking soda to last really? In the refrigerator as well as in the cupboard.

Thanks,

Jennifer

I noticed that on the new packages of Arm & Hammer they are recommending that you throw it out after 30 days...

So the question is this then...how long can one expect baking soda to last really? In the refrigerator as well as in the cupboard.

One month is probably the expected limit to its deodorizing ability--which would also mean after a month of being open to the air it would no longer taste fresh. As a cleaning agent, that expiration date would be meaningless. Sodium bicarbonate is very stable.

If you're in doubt then mix some with vinegar and see if it fizzes out carbon dioxide - if it does then its good for cleaning.

If you're in doubt then mix some with vinegar and see if it fizzes out carbon dioxide - if it does then its good for cleaning.

this isn't entirely accurate, on exposure to moisture it will decomposed to sodium carbonate which will also fizz in vinegar. and its not really a stable chemical moisture and moderate heat decompose it.

this isn't entirely accurate, on exposure to moisture it will decomposed to sodium carbonate which will also fizz in vinegar.

What you say is exactly accurate which is why vinegar is a good test. Sodium carbonate is a cleaning agent (ie "washing soda").

and its not really a stable chemical moisture and moderate heat decompose it.

True, but it's not hygroscopic. My point being, it's more stable than a 1 month expiration date.

I would like to run this one by everyone here. I like using baking soda as a cleaner; it really works pretty darn well as an abrasive for scrubbing. The other day, I bought some new baking soda becaue we were running low and it was on sale. I noticed that on the new packages of Arm & Hammer they are recommending that you throw it out after 30 days...there is the calendar listed and that is all. On the old package of Arm and Hammer it says on the side of the package to throw it out after 3 months, if in the refrigerator. I personally think what it says on the new package is load of merde and simply marketing's way of trying to convince you that you need to buy more of their product.

Thanks,

Jennifer

keep it till it stops doing what you want it to do, then buy some more.