New Student.

LostLabyrinths

Hello, I am new here but I am starting regain an interest for sciences and I have come here hoping to improve my understanding and knowledge. I admit, I don’t know a lot but I was hoping by being here that some of you could teach me and change that, if that’s okay. I might be taking a few science class in college and I like to get a head start by learn about a big chunk the subjects before I even start the class’s. So my first question is can some explain to me what the theory of relativity is and how it works to some one has no understanding of it?

Hello LostLabyrinths,

I'm also new here... Let's make introductions together :)

I'm an avid armature and tinkerer in the sciences with a love for logic and reason. I've been pointed to this forum twice from google, so decided to dip my feet.

For an explanation of relativity, LostL, have you seen wikipedia's wikibook on special relativity? I've read it top to bottom and it's a really thorough treatment. The regular wikipedia page on special relativity is also really good if you're looking for something less extensive.

A simple description would be that the speed of light is always constant - no matter how fast you're moving. If two people both see the same light moving the same speed, but they are each moving relative to each other then something's gotta give way. It turns out that time and space themselves give way. If someone is moving relative to you then their clock will appear to run slow compared to your clock and their ruler will appear short compared to your ruler. The faster these two people go compared to each other... the more drastic these effects.

That is a simple description, but a helpful start I hope. I look forward to having fun in the forums everybody :)

Hello, I am new here but I am starting regain an interest for sciences and I have come here hoping to improve my understanding and knowledge. I admit, I don’t know a lot but I was hoping by being here that some of you could teach me and change that, if that’s okay. I might be taking a few science class in college and I like to get a head start by learn about a big chunk the subjects before I even start the class’s. So my first question is can some explain to me what the theory of relativity is and how it works to some one has no understanding of it?

I created a web site for just such a purpose. Its located here

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/sr.htm

Take a look and let me know if it helps. Let me know if you have any questions/comments. Thanks.

Pete