Jump to content

What is aushardening?

Recommended Posts

I've never seen that word before, but... Perhaps:


A german loan word that's become half-English for hardening (like tempering steel)?

To be honest, it looks more like a massive spelling mistake than anything else, when I look at Google's 4 hits.


It looks a little like "uitharden" which is a Dutch word for tempering / hardening. This is how I got the idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good guess CaptainPanic.


Austempering is heat treatment for steel. I'm guessing it's just another word for that. The aus- comes from austenite, a phase of steel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.