B.S. ChemE > M.S. Chemistry

ChemCed

Hi! i`m Cedie from the Philippines 15 yrs. old i`m taking up Chemical Engineering... here.. Is it possible for me to take up Master`s degree in Chemistry after finishing my course ChemE? or i can only proceed to M.S. Chemical Eng.

In my country, the two are actually quite different. Engineering focuses very much on the practical side of chemistry: how to make a factory, how to do that efficiently.

Chemistry focuses on the electrons and atoms much more than the engineer does.

After you finish your degrees, you can switch once you're working. In universities it might be possible but it kinda depends on you, the university and what you exactly want. There are certainly fields that are covered by both educations, but some that are not. It might be necessary to do a few extra courses in order to be able to switch...

All in all, I think it should be possible, but it's not very common.

If that is your plan, take as many chemistry classes as your ChemE electives as you can. You should be able to take something like a quantum chemistry, or a inorganic chemistry or additional semester of organic chemistry or a chemistry-based polymers class, or any of the other advanced chemistry classes while getting your B.S. 1) you can see if you like it enough to continue to pursue your goal and 2) you will prepare yourself better for a chemistry graduate degree.