Wikipedia

Dark matter

Is wikipedia a viable source?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is wikipedia a viable source?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

I honestly use it at work for sense key errors - there are several places online that give you the information, but wiki does it so much better, and most of them are even correct!

I clicked yes, just because I use it, but I agree with all previous arguments made that you should cross reference the articles references

It's a good reference source although it is one which I visit less frequently. I tend to use Google (search engine) through which I can find all my resources so don't always feel the need to refer back to wikipedia.

I think this is a great example of a poll question misleading (not deliberately) the voter.

At my school, they don't allow Wiki as a viable source. Do you think it's trustworthy?

Clearly the poster wants to know whether the Wikipedia should be considered an academic source, appropriate for quoting in an academic paper. He's not interested in whether the information in it is reliable, or generally useful in some other way. He wants to see if his teachers were wrong for not letting him CITE it. This was later confirmed by follow-up posts, and yet people continue to respond to this poll as if it were asking the more general types of questions. Understandable, but it's produced a very flawed poll result.

Given that the Wikipedia can typically be edited at any time for any reason, if the poll question had been framed that way I suspect 99% of the answers would have been negative.