Looking for a career in science

scubatim

Hey guys, so out of curiosity, I'm just wondering what kinds of careers are there for someone who loves scuba diving, likes the ocean, finds marine biology fascinating and likes aquatic animals in general? I know the obvious choice is marine biology, but since that's such a small field, I'm wondering what other fields or specific jobs are related that I could maybe look into.

I think I would like ichythology as well, not sure what else. I don't know if I would have any interest in lab research yet....I like being out in the field, so maybe field research would have more interest for me. I'm kind of just looking for general advice, whether to get a M.S. or PhD, what the pay rate is (unfortunately paying bills is a fact of life for all of us), job conditions, etc. Thanks!

I would go the biology department websites of various collages and look at the different professors/researchers who work there. Usually they list current/recent research that they have done. I'm sure you will be able to find something there, as Marine Biology is something of a wide topic.

Well, I do not really do field work, so I cannot really comment on this. However, with respect to payment you should be aware that in an academic career payment is pretty lousy up until you become at the very least an assistant professor (even then payment is generally not great, but at least you can support a family easily).

The basic requirement for an academic career is a PhD, after which you are expected to do roughly four or more years of postdoc. During that time you can expect (in the US) something between 30 and 40k (the latter usually only for experienced postdocs).

Also, pure research positions are extremely rare, once you are out of the postdoc (but very likely already before) you will have to do a fair share of teaching, so you won't be scuba diving all day ;).

• 2 weeks later...

I love marine life too :D

Well a marine biologist would be the best job for you. But why don't you try being an explorer?!? I know that it's not exactly science but you will probably be able to use your scientific methods during the work. Like you could go scub diving, and researching to find new species of marine life?

I'm sure you could research one kind of marine animal.

Have you ever seen the movie "deep blue sea" the woman in that is researching sharks.

Maybe you could try something similar??

Unfortunately this is a very romantic view on marine biology. Not that much is actually dedicated to field work, and in the end it is mostly down to funding. Just as a side note, I am pretty sure that it wasn't meant in earnest, but I just have to stress that one shouldn't mix up Hollywood with real life research. They are simply way too far apart.

• 1 month later...

Please be aware of what you love though.

I know of a few guys who loved scuba diving and loved the marine life but their interest in the actual biology in the field was lacking. These guys now work in business jobs.

I know I love scuba diving...but I'd be afraid to take it up as a career since I know how it can destroy the hobby.