Manipulation of motors/fans

battousai

Let's say one has a basic fan (hot wire, stator, rotor, neutral wire), and that when a current is applied from the hot wire to the neutral, the fan spins to the left. If one were to apply a current from the neutral wire to the hot wire, would the fan spin to the right?

Yes. As a good example almost any ceiling fan is reversible by moving the position of the forward/reverse switch.

As stated in the first post, this circuit does not include a switch. In this case, how would one reverse the direction of the ac fan? A switch can be used, but what type of switch is this? Does it have a specific name?

As stated in the first post, this circuit does not include a switch. In this case, how would one reverse the direction of the ac fan? A switch can be used, but what type of switch is this? Does it have a specific name?

You're getting some erronious information. AC motors come in a variety of flavors. A motor you think is AC, might be a universal motor. I think ceiling fans have univeral motors The most common are induction motors. *Some* will spin and deliver power either way depending on how they are started.

I don't think you want to go messing with their internal wiring if you have to ask how they work. Besides, the fan blade won't work reversed.

Is there anything that prevents you from just turning the fan 180 degrees?

Good catch, big314mp! I hadn't thougth of flipping the fan over on the shaft with the motor turning the other way. It turns the usual tractor fan into a pusher fan.

This is what you were thinking, right?